finish- final coat of ???

I have a project that is build of stained poplar, covered with a couple coats of wipe on poly. I'm looking for a wax, or other final coating that can be polished or buffed to a highly glossy, smooth finish.
Any suggestions welcome- Thanks, Steve V.
I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's getting hard to come by. However, MinWax furniture polish is rapidly gaining my respect as a worthy alternative. Like Johnson's, it's a paste wax in a can and like Johnson's, it works best if you put it on, wait for a few seconds and wipe it off again. Repeat as required and buff with a old piece of terry towel. Don't let the wax dry....it causes swirls marks and is a pain to buff out. If this happens, apply more wax over the dries stuff, rub hard to re-constitute the dried stuff and then buff off right away.
After you've down this, let if harden fpor a couple of hours and then hit it again with the buffing towel...
try it. you'll like it.
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Steve Verity" < snipped-for-privacy@atc.creative.com> wrote in message
Not true. Lowe's is just one of the chains that currently carry tons of SC Johnson's Paste Wax.
David
Rob Stokes wrote:

Fwiw, if you can't find Johnsons I've had good luck with Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax, same process as the others. Good luck, Adam
Hi David, I think Rob meant to say is that it is not sold in Canada anymore. JG
David wrote:

Aha. Got it.
David
JGS wrote:

Hook, line, sinker, fishing pole.... SH

Agreed. Easy to use, quick and satisfying results. I regularly use it on wooden projects in my apartment where the odour of paint thinners or stain might be offensive.
However, MinWax furniture polish is rapidly gaining

I'll second MinWax paste for durability and luster. A few years ago we owned a college rental that housed our son and a tenant. The living room carpets were needing to be replaced but when we pulled the carpet we found 60+ year old oak under it. They were dulled and carpet imprinted but in fairly good shape. After cleaning we applied two coats of MinWax, buffing after each. The $35 finish (cleaner, MinWax, buffer rental) looked great. Still looked good when we sold the house about 1-1/2 years later.
With this in mind I have topped the finish of several projects with 1 or 2 coats of the wax and it adds luster and some durability. If you pick up minor scuffs, you can usually fix with a light recoat. I don't think I would recoat often though.

<troll alert on> <g> SH
Mon, Oct 25, 2004, 10:58pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (RobStokes) wildly claims: I'd suggest Johnson's paste wax, but they don't make it anymore and it's getting hard to come by. <snip>
On the other hand, maybe they just don't want "you" to get ahold of any. http://www.scjbrands.com/mailorder /
I've still got most of a can, and another brand new can I got at a yard sale for $1 (US). Hehehehe
JOAT Eagles can soar ... but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
A high gloss is achieved by grit buffing, not with wax. Someday I'll do a finishing video and on that video tell the truth about wax. In the meantime, avoid the wax, or just use it on your car.
The biggest laugh I had was from Chris Minnik (sic?) in FWW. Some pretty erronious info on wax and silicone.
And he's a pro?? Must be part of the reason I let my subscription lapse. -Rick