Finish applicators

I'm thinking of trying foam applicators instead of brushes for staining. My impression is that they are good to use with finishes that will be wiped off the surface of the wood before they dry. But for finish coats of urethane or paint, etc. am I correct in my understanding that brushes are still the preferred method of application?
FoggyTown
Staining: I prefer to use rags to brushes because I can more easily control the amount of stain (wasting less stain, that ends up getting wiped off anyway).
Top coats: I prefer to use HVLP except for shellac. For shellac it's back to the rags.
Others will differ in their opinions on finishing techniques.
Dave
foggytown wrote:

Oh, one other thing I should mention: if you are out of matches and need to start a fire, just leave a solvent based stain-soaked rag balled up and lying in the sun. You'll have a nice little fire going in no time! DAMHIKT.
Dave