Finish Andersen Slidng Patio Door

I have a new Andersen slider with a pine interior. I want to just leave it natural. Since the door is rather expensive, I don't want to screw it up.

I was thinking of using some Benjamin Moore wood conditioner that I already have (about 2 years old). Then a coat of gloss oil poly followed by satin oil poly.

Should I do something different? I know I can use a shellac seal coat, but since I already have the Moore wood conditioner, I thought I'd just use that.

Should I use water poly instead to prevent it from yellowing over time?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

IMO, the wood conditioner is a waste of time. It won't offer any more protection, may even be a hindrance if you use water based poly. I'd put the first coat of poly on thinned about 25%, the light sanding with 220 grit, then one coat followed by 320 sanding, then final coat. Light sand with 400 if it has any bumps at all.

The oil versus water appearance is personal preference. I like the warmth oil gives.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Buck Turgidson" wrote: .

A brand new door deserves brand new finish materials, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Buck, First, I agree with the other poster, use fresh materials. I buy small cans, knowing it will be some time before I need it again.

Second, I did my Pella siding door about two years ago. Sand everything lightly. The issue here is that the door manufacturers use similar color woods on the door and trim, but definitely not the same wood. That means the woods ability to take in materials will differ. Doors take a lot of abuse, simple fact of life. I have use the oil based products on wood when I know there will be heavy use.(slight amber color) It just take more time, no real additional effort. Mask off all the windows, wider than you think you need to, newspaper is cheap, replacing high E glass after is has been damaged by trying to get stuff off is expensive. Do not use cheep brushes. For however long you will own this door, your will see the result of you work. The cost of the material divided by 15 years makes it inexpensive investment per year. OH and door cover the floor. PIA cleaning that up as well. Lessons learned by doing it wrong.........

Reply to
goaway

The color will change over time regardless of what you put on it (other than paint) due to light. Pine will get considerably darker. The "yellowing" from oil poly is just due to the color of the material and is slight.

Reply to
dadiOH