Finish and Glue for Hotplate

I'm making a frame for a ceramic hotplate. Basically, just a few small ceramic tiles glued to some wood. There's going to be a solid wood border which will not be in direct contact with the hot thing on top (at least I hope). I was wondering if I could use poly-urathane, or such as a finish. Also, the piece will be held together by tongue-and-grove, with glue. Is regular carpenters glue good for this sort of thing?
Thanks
John
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:14:32 -0500, "John Smith"

any finish will scorch if you apply enough heat. I'd avoid anything with a lot of surface build like poly. shellac or danish oil should do fine...

yes.