Finish?

A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good, problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.
--
Froz...

On Friday, May 3, 2013 12:18:41 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:

in the direct sunlight, is there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing every couple years? Not really, as per resanding every few years, however....
Do a one-time good sanding, now, and finish with any good marine finish. Every few years, lighly sand and apply another coat of marine. The subsequent light sandings and recoatings should be a snap, compared to the one-time substantial refinishing.
Maybe, surprise her with a few inexpensive decorative dishes/plates, to use as pot saucers/holders, to help prevent water spillage & spotting.
I've used scrap wood to make pot "plates". Simply square/hexagon, flat, no concave contour, beveled edges to dress them up, a bit. These aren't always quite fitting for elegant decor, though.
Sonny
On 5/3/2013 2:35 PM, Sonny wrote:

idea in the direct sunlight, is there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing every couple years?

Every few years, lighly sand and apply another coat of marine. The subsequent light sandings and recoatings should be a snap, compared to the one-time substantial refinishing.

concave contour, beveled edges to dress them up, a bit. These aren't always quite fitting for elegant decor, though.

Scrap wood may work, it is only about 4 1/2 inches wide, hoping for a more elegant solution, and trying to avoid tipping, our cats like it back there in the summer too.
--
Froz...

FrozenNorth wrote:

what is commonly used on top of kitchen table tops.
Bill

That's what I did and it works fine. I also glued on back and side splashes. Art
On 5/3/2013 10:18 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

a piece of scrap granite or glass.
On 5/3/2013 2:43 PM, chaniarts wrote:

--
Froz...

On 5/3/2013 12:33 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

a glass place and granite yard toss out hundreds of lbs of this every day. they'll probably just give you some.
"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Epifanes.
Take a look at Jamestown Distributors web site for data then find a marine chandlery in Toronto to purchase.
Have fun.
Lew
On 5/3/2013 2:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

--
Froz...

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

When it comes to clear marine finishes, you have Epifanes and stuff that wishes they could be Epifanes when they grow up.
Pricey, probably $35-$40 US for 750 ml, but worth it.
Lew
On Friday, May 3, 2013 12:18:41 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
Froz, if I may, are you in the woodworking business, in any way, and be near Lake Ontario, near High Park? If so, for either question, email me - cedarsonny at aye oh ell dot com
Sonny
On 5/3/2013 3:16 PM, Sonny wrote:

You have mail.
--
Froz...

Seems like a rare case where using a good spar varnish indoors might be a good idea.

On Fri, 03 May 2013 13:18:41 -0400, FrozenNorth

How about a piece of glass over the wood, for the months you're using it as a greenhouse?
On Fri, 03 May 2013 13:18:41 -0400, FrozenNorth wrote:

I'd try some dewaxed shellac. It's a lot more resistant to water stains than people think. And if it does need refinished you don't need to sand. Just wipe on another coat or two.
Mixing it yourself is best, but Zinnsers SealCoat is almost as good.
carrying a cross.