Finger prints appear after staining

I am in the process of replacing a couple interior hollow core doors. After cutting to the proper length, drilling the lockset holes, cutting the hinge mortises and light sanding I was ready to stain the first door.

After I applied the stain I was able to see a couple large residual finger prints that were not visible until I had stained the door. Unfortunately with the thin veneer I was only able to sand about half of the finger prints out before I started to sand through the veneer.

When I get the replacement door for the replacement door is there something short of wearing gloves that I can do to ensure there will be no ugly surprises when I apply the stain?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Still a chance't you can salvage if you strip the area as best can with solvent-based stripper and use solvent to then try to also strip the oils of the prints...But, if it is "just" a hollow-core, may be as cheap to replace as the stripper and effort.

Use the solvent on rag as a wash before staining next time; it'll a) remove the oils of any such latent prints, and, more importantly, b) highlight such things (including scratches, etc., ...) before you actually take the plunge w/ any finish coats/stains/etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

It is "just" a hollow core door so the effort to save it would be more than the cost of a new one. I will definitely use solvent on a rag to clean the next one prior to staining.

This is actually the second replacement door that got trashed. We don't need to talk about what I did to the veneer on the first one while using a chisel to remove the glue from the inside of the veneer after cutting down the height of the door. My lips are closed.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you think the prints are glue or something from the door's manufacture? Wiping down with mineral spirits often reveals such things (as well as sanding scratches) before staining.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

The finger prints were not prints per se, but as if you were to put your hand flat on a surface and press down with your finger tip while sliding your hand across that surface. They closely resembled how and where I remember my hand moving while trying to flip the door over.

I will begin adding the process of wiping down projects with solvent prior to staining after this.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Wash your hands often.

Reply to
clare

Neither have I and oil base stain would just dissolve any residual body oil. Never used water base, is it possible that would be blocked by body oil?

+1
Reply to
dadiOH

I know I didn't use too much finger pressure while sanding because I either used a sanding block or my ROS. Besides the "prints" were across the grain not with the grain so that was definitely not the issue. I know I wasn't doing any shade tree mechanic work at the time so that wasn't the culprit either. I've never had this problem before either and I have stained many projects in the past.

It is possible, maybe even probable, that this occurred during shipment from the manufacturer to my lumber yard or from there to my house.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I bought a fancy door that had that problem. I figured it was glue at the factory. Not a problem left natural or painted, but stain showed bloches.

Reply to
Baxter

"dadiOH" wrote in news:mnavhl$9u5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That's why I was thinking glue residue, from the manufacturer. I know I've had plenty of "dammit" moments when I've stained and noticed a glue spot near a joint, that I didn't catch when sanding.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

They very well may not be your finger prints... I've seen store workers and delivery men use very dirty gloves and hands while handling materials... and have even had boot prints on trim and doors. One time my wife accepted a delivery and I came home to find a rusty gloved hand print on my table saw top and wet dirty hand prints all over the n-grade trim... the guy apparently used the saw for balance as they brought 16' long trim stock into the shop. Ugh...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin