Finger/box joints

I'm going to do some experimentation. I can't think of any reason why, with the proper setup, I can't do reasonable finger/box joints on my router table. Is there? Do them the same way they're don on a TS except using a straight bit.
FoggyTown

Dave

Yes it can be done and I have done it. IIRC An older issue of WoodSmith shows how to do this. They built a sled that hung over the front and back edge to guide it on a straight path and had a fence with a key inserted to position the work. There are numerous plans for jigs out there to do this.
foggytown wrote:

No reason at all.
I've done them with a jig that attaches to the base of the router, just a sub-base with a cleat on it to ride in the groove from the last pass.
I think your idea is better, at least for anything that isn't too big to balance easily on the router table. ISTR the router guys (father and son team in Manitoba) do finger joints that way, maybe dovetails too.
--

FF

foggytown wrote:

Here's one possibility:
http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html
Chris
I have until recently always done them on a router table with a jig. Make sure the bit is 90 degrees to the jig bed that the stock rests on. The face of the stock is 90 degrees to the path you push the jig into the bit (miter slot if you use that). Sharp bit Joe

You can see how I did it here:
<http://homepage.mac.com/balderstone/PhotoAlbum1.html
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.