FineWoodworking.COM and 18th century tools

A while back I wrote of the behind the scenes shop at Colonial Williamsburg where Jon Laubach and George Wilson make reproduction tools for the CW craftsmen. FineWoodworking.COM has a video that shows Jon and George and some of the work that they do. There are also clips with Mack Headley, master of the cabinet maker's shop. I should probably head to CW this year... haven't seen the guys in about 6.5 years. Time sure flies... they look so grey in the clips! ;~)
If you subscribe look for the clip Antique Tools are Modern Made Tool makers reproduce 18th century handsaws, plans, and marking tools for the historic trade shops at Colonial Williamsburg with George D. Wilson
The Colonial Williamsburg web site had something along those lines as well. I looked it up in response to your post. Amazing, IMO. I truly wish they'd have a special backstage tour, sort of like what they do at the Metropolitan Opera. I'd take some time off from work just to go visit...
The 18th century lathe project, for a multitude of reasons, is still "under study" at the moment. Hopefully that status will change with the seasons.
J.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I attended one of the January conferences a couple of years back. It was the one on 18th century case goods. I was blown away. It was very enjoyable and worth every penny I spent. :-)

CW offers constant stimulation to those who look for it... If you spend a week there and make the effort you could be overwhelmed. ;~) I was fortunate enough to work there and have visited other times. The behind the scenes shop where Jon and George work is not generally open to the public and it is a dream shop. About every conceivable type of woodworking and metal working machinery is there along with a forge/welding area.
The more I think about it the more I think it's time for another visit. Besides, I need to visit the flintlock rifle Jon is building me. ;~)
John