Fine Woodworking Sees Green - Go Figure

Page 2 of 2

I think you are spot on. Oddly, this is the reason why I *would* buy Grizzly. Since I don't own a truck and the nearest serious tool dealer is 60 miles away, no return is going to be easy. I choose my vendor based on who will support me. Grizz has a pretty good reputation for customer service.
Everybody ships a lemon once in a while. Buy from the vendor that will support you.
Cheers,
Steve
I'd be inclined to think they shipped demo models. If you're not the first to receive it, it might have taken lots of abuse from transporting to shows, allowing it to be used on consignment, etc. Most companies can't afford to ship a brand new product to every single demonstration or reviewer. I see this with high end electronics test equipment.
Nick Bozovich wrote:

How odd. They ran a review, and awarded a prize, to what appears to be a discontinued model.
Granted they have to run those things early, probably months in advance, but it's kind of funny that no sooner does the issue come out than that particular Griz model gets moved to the Outlet Section of the website. http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/items-list.aspx?keyE0000&listtype=group

That is odd. I just took a look at the '05 Grizzly catalog and it is still in there but it is absent from the main part of their site. I have to wonder if the G0586 is its upgrade.
I noticed a few weeks ago the Grizzly appears to have modified its site. I was a little afraid they had discontinued a couple of hand-held drum sanders I was going to buy. They disappeared from the normal search screens but I could still find them by doing a site search. Ordered them and got them.
By the way, I just did a model number search for G0500 and found it right where you did.
RonB

That certainly appears to be the case. It's the only 8 inch jointer there. Okay, it's the only 8 inch jointer under two thousand dollars. :-)
I bought the 586. At the time I ordered it, the 500 was still there but I wanted the topmount power switch. Got it assembled and running a couple days ago. Everything about it looks solid and well done.
I was going to get one with a spiral cutterhead but decided to spend the extra money on classes and lumber.
RonB wrote:

Just remember...
LOTS of brands are green. <G>
Green in a wood shop doesn't mean Grizzly by any sense of the word.

But the grizzly green is a particular shade of green.
And it is not a particularly attractive shade of green either.
I don't know anything about color. But if I was going to put thousnds of machines out there in the world, I would have chosen a different color.
Lee Michaels said:

General comes to mind...

As is General's.

As is General's - again...

PLEASE, no more red. Blood-like colors trigger the 'Oh Sh*t" response in the back of your mind. Something genetically hardwired, or maybe just conditioning. Stop, Danger, Blood - not a color I want on a saw.
How about a dusty greyish-blue. Nothing like Delta's, but not near as blue as Ryobi. Here let me pull up a Pantone Color... ;-)
Cripes, we sound like a group of old ladies discussing drape colors...
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote:

So is Woodtek and it isn't that attractive, either...one wonders who comes up w/ these paint schemes????
I think the Yorktown/Jet off-whites are pretty good, personally.
I have no problem w/ the Delta gray nor the PM gold/green.
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:23:18 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

purple! (tm keeter)
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs said:

Don't forget puky bright yellow. Or is that bright yellow puky ducks. Wait, I've got it - it's pukey ducks, bright yellow tools...
Greg G.