Fine Woodworking on Disk

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:17:19 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Not counting the Commodore 64, my first PC was an 8088 "Turbo" with dual 5-1/4 floppies. I later added a 20mb harddrive, and honestly felt I would never fill the sucker.
tt
Test Tickle writes:

My first "PC" was a Kaypro with a single 5-1/4" floppy. Lost that in a house fire and got a hotter model, with 2 5-1/4" floppy drives. Next up, a PC with a 20 meg hard drive, 8088, 8 mHz. Never figured to need anything larger or faster. So, now, a 3 gig P4, 1 gig of RAM and 2 120 gigabyte drives. At a cost of about $1100 less than the first PC, or, for that matter, for the cp/m Kaypro.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
On 16 Jan 2004 14:21:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I grew up in Okinawa, and this is a very close approximation of my first computer:
http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/april/abacus.jpg
When I went off to college, Mom bought me one of these. It _rocked._
http://www.davidthompson.co.uk/img15.gif
On a totally unrelated note, a couple of years ago UNC Chapel Hill started _requiring_ freshmen students to have laptops.
Michael who went to college when you could be expelled for sneaking a HP calculator into the exam room...
Too bad they didn't require a brain instead of the laptop. (who went to school down the road in Raleigh)
Michael Baglio

Say, don't you live in enemy territory?
Ah yes, the school of Richard Nixon and Danny Ferry.
Wasnt' this the school that exorcised the name of divinity when the Tobacco family bought it?
--but they do have a good b-ball program (otherwise UNC wouldn't be interested in them at all...).
Snickering, H

Oops. The way that last post appeared on my browser made me think that Michael has written it. I have no idea where Pat lives (bet it's not Durham).
With fond memories, H.

Michael Baglio

Hey, I think I've still got the one I bought on BC Street. JOe KHS 72, if we hadn't transferred in Oct 71
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:44:50 -0500, Joe Gorman

Kadena???
M--
On 16 Jan 2004 14:21:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Dad's first box was a Kaypro upon which he wrote his book. IT had dual 180k floppies. I wasn't into computers yet.
My first box was an Intel 80286 powered 8MHz PC with a massive 20MB hard drive and both 360k and 1.2MB floppies, a screamer! The next was a 33MHz 486, then a P-133. All cost about the same at around $1400 and each was about 8x the machine the last one was. I now have an Athlon-powered 1.2GHz box with 40GB drive and 256MB of 333MHz memory. It cost $1,000 with a big 19" monitor. I like it when things that I use on a daily basis become commodities. It's just a wee bit cheaper. That 20MB drive was $300 (the 40G $99), the first scanner $600 (last $40), the first faxmodem $300 (Intel SatisFAXtion 9600 screamer, last a 56k for $23), my first 17" monitor cost $579 (my new 19" $269), etc.
Why does it still take 3 minutes to boot these guys? Because the programmers (companies they work for) have been lazy. Whac ould be done in 200 bytes/2kb of RAM back then now takes 6MB of space and 64MB of RAM now. Well, that and the fact that so many of our programs are automatically loaded now, so the computers are doing a whole lot more in the same time.

One t-shirt I bought eons ago says
Give me the luxuries of life. I can live without the necessities.
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. -------------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:47:40 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

The lazy/inept programmer is one reason for the bloat/performance issues, but a bigger reason is that pushing all these pixels around vs command line stuff on a dumb tube uses a whole bunch more resources.
-Doug
Larry Jaques writes:

But we're booting a lot more. That cp/m machine was a command line type, with, IIRC, 7" screen and nothing even close to graphics. Now, my XP machine boots with a photo of me chamfering the edge of a piece of Mesquite, and loads the shortcuts for 20-30 programs (I'll be damned if I'll count them to write this!). It also starts a couple virus and pop-eliminator programs, and probably some other stuff. The cp/m machines didn't boot a damned thing until the floppy went in and you typed in the a command.
Later, my 8088 PC did the same, but with an immense 12" monitor that I eventually changed to a 15" Wyse black & white (my wife nearly had a conniption because I paid $850 or so bucks for that: Wyse never wrote drivers for Windows, so when I went to that, I was behind the 8 ball for another monitor, managed to pick up a 17" refurb my wife still has on her machine...that cost $515, IIRC, something under half the retail $1100. I paid over $435 for this ViewSonic 19" and I think today they're selling for half that. It's on its third computer and the other thing is on its fifth, I think, maybe fourth).
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
On 16 Jan 2004 14:21:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Giggle. CP/M. What memories.
tt
CP/M - nah, what you really wanted was TurboDOS: multiuser (16 users, 2 per S100 Bus card - 2x Z80 processors w/ 64K ram). I'm just as glad I could only afford to be the one and only user on that machine: wouldn't want to have shared that whopping (at the time) 10MB hard drive. (Right MB, not GB) Walk over to alt.folklore.computer and join us oldtimers once in awhile.
Bill
message (Charlie Self)

It's even more than $1100 difference, if you take into account inflation.
Probably more like $2500.
On 16 Jan 2004 12:42:54 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

It's alot like televisions. When I was a kid, my folks paid the equivalent of 3-4 weeks pay for a color TV that wouldn't impress a six-year-old these days. You would have to work about one-fourth the number of hours today to buy a far, far better machine.
And yet, most of us here still lust for the "old iron."
tt
Test Tickle writes:

In my case, it was a black & white floor model Philco (hell, that was before Ford owned Philco...wonder who owns it now).

Not me. I've owned "old iron" when it was new.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
On 17 Jan 2004 08:33:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

No more treadle jigsaws for you, eh, Charlie?
- If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates. -------------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Larry Jaques writes:

Right. And no more '57 Chevs either. Not to mention older Studebakers (not new: my father was a mechanic at Mt. Vernon [NY} Studebaker for years and we got the used crap they couldn't sell elsewhere, which he and I then refurbished, though there wasn't a helluva lot you could do at reasonable cost for the old flathead 6s). Even older Fords (again, not new, and in this case not running, but it was the only way I could get a convertible in '54: '40 Ford).
Or maybe the old Thor power handtools. Electrocution waiting to happen. Lightweight aluminum cases and straight wired, no ground, no internal interrupts.
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
On 17 Jan 2004 18:46:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Hey, an old 4-dr '57 Chevy with powerslide tranny was my very first car, at age 15.5. I was running around on a Kawasaki 90 (street model) from then until I got my license at 16 and could drive the car. Dad and I took it down to TJ and got it carpeted (stock black, just like the stuff that came in it) and reupholstered (black naugahyde stitched with nylon thread and stuffed with good cotton batting--not hay or swept garage crap, we stayed and watched the process) for a grand total of $25. I also spent a whole $1.93 for a Necker's Knob because even with a 18" steering wheel, without power steering, that beast was a BITCH to turn. The second item I had spent good money for (through JC Whitney, Chicagga) was a wolf whistle. A cop pulled me over and said I couldn't have a siren on the vehicle. I said "That was a wolf whistle you heard." and he said "But you CAN make it sound like a siren, so it goes TODAY."
Ahhhh, good old days, BAD old tanklike vehicles.

I was born in '53, so you were driving when I was 1 y/o!

Free perms!
Don't forget the 7 P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance ---------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Test tickle
wood you care to share you copy of the CD
Thanks would be nice to see