Fine Wooden Boxmaking

Hi all
There are many sites on the web for wooden box fanciers, in fact trolling through them when you google is a task. Can we have a few suggestions for those sites that you have found useful to makers, either through fine or unusual design, helpful tips or anything other than simply a display of quite ordinary boxes.
Many Thanks
A beautiful box isn't JUST a box!
K & C Hunter wrote:

I have links to a few other sites on my links page. Why don't you provide some links to sites that _you_ like. It's always interesting to look at good work. Look at Australian Wood Art for example...
Links -- http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/linksbusiness.htm
If you like these -- great -- otherwise as I said show us some that you like -- so we know what you are looking for ...
My jewel boxes... http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/productsbusiness/productsbusiness.htm
Here's one of the best around http://www.dougstowe.com/ . Doug used to hang out here a lot up until all the crap started last year and a lot of the regulars (and mentors) have left. Perhaps they're still lurking occasionally - sure hope so - and will decide to drop in again.
At any rate, get out the crow-bar and use it on your wallet and get Doug's latest book - or anyone of them. The writing and pictures are excellent and certainly worth more than what you will pay. He has designed some beautiful boxes that anyone can make and then there are those that will really challenge your skills.
Bob S.

I second that. I did build one of Doug's boxes that really challenged my skills. Here is a description of my attempt at making his most challenging box. http://www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/jewellery.html
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Luigi:
I had a look at the box. _Very_ nice work.
Your trials and tribulations are "normal" for making a small piece of that complexity. I think I have commented before on how/why I learned to do "inlay"... :-)
I could tell you the same things about my current project -- but I don't have the time.
Will have to have a look at some of Doug Stowes books... They are on the Lee Valley site.
scribbled:

<snip>
Thank you. Your very nice work reminds me very much of Doug's, and that is intended as a compliment. I am sure you will enjoy his books and derive quite a bit of inspiration from them.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
WillR wrote:

Not to pull business away from Lee Valley, but Doug sells his books on his web site, too: www.dougstowe.com
Whomever you buy from, it's an interesting site.
Charlie Self wrote:

I am aware of that... And I did have a look at Doug's site and I did think about it... He has some nice stuff there too. I just wanted Luigi to have his well deserved moment in the sun without commenting on Doug's site -- but since you did, clearly Doug is at the top of the art form.
However, Lee Valley is a 45 min drive away and I can have that book and a couple of others _now_ !!!!
I need to go there for other stuff anyway, and pick up some stuff at All-in-one Wood. So I can kill two paycheques with one trip...
:-)
: Hi all
: There are many sites on the web for wooden box fanciers, in fact trolling : through them when you google is a task. Can we have a few suggestions for : those sites that you have found useful to makers, either through fine or : unusual design, helpful tips or anything other than simply a display of : quite ordinary boxes.
Have a look at: http://www.fine-boxes.com / http://www.finehardwoodboxes.com /
Two of the finest boxmakers in the world.
Crawford has a god set of links as well --
Andy Barss