Fine brass woodworking brushes

Since I seem to be on a posting jag here, I have always wanted to know what is the use in woodworking for wire brushes that we make and sell exclusively to the woodworking industry. It is a Beech "Bent-handle" and "Shoe-handle" with very fine .006" Brass wire. The action is so soft that it tickles if you run it on your arm. As far as I know, I'm the only manufacturer and I started making them as specials. They are a bitch to make and not cheap and my customers won't tell me what they are used for, they just say the brushes are "Magic". I'm thinking some finishing operation

Here's a link to pictures of the brushes, just imagine the fine brass fill, I don't catalog them as such ,as there is such a limited market and I don't even know what it is.

Tom Gardner

the time I sent one of them.

I would strongly suspect that the best use for these brushes is for something like refinishing. I use the softest brushes I can when I am on the last lap of stripping a door or anything else. Imagine a door that has been sitting with paste stripper on it for an hour or so so that the wood is wet. After removing all the old finish possible, you will still have bits of this and that tha didn't come out with your normal strip procedure.

These areas will be dents, the inside corners of door panels, etc. This is where a really soft metal brush and a wooden pic shine. With a really soft brush you can loosen and remove the remaining finish without scoring the grain.

I can also see them for refinishing passage door hardware since they won't scratch the surface of the metal.

Where are you buying them?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'd be interested in a version like a paint brush, with bristles about

2.5" long. I find it's easier to do detail work. I think LV sells them, but they're pricey and a little stiff.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Thanks, good info. I don't buy them, I make them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

What is LV?

Look at my "Loop Handle" ...how about something like that in .006 brass?

Tom Gardner

If your customers won't answer your questions about how they use the brush, you may not want to know. They could be using them for perverse sexual practices, illicit drug manufacturing, or money laundering (cheap labor, no need for washer and dryer).

RicodJour

If your customers won't answer your questions about how they use the brush, you may not want to know. They could be using them for perverse sexual practices, illicit drug manufacturing, or money laundering (cheap labor, no need for washer and dryer investment).

RicodJour

SNIP

SNIP

Tom, check this out. Is this about what you have? I am using brass brushes a little larger than these that are really softm (I dont' know about these), and I don't get much use out of them since they are so soft, but they do exactly what I need to do, and they aren't really that expensive.

thoughts?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Lee Valley Tools

Upscale

Those are our standard #300-B, 3x7 row toothbrush style. we don't make them but we cary them. We sell for about $.72 ea in boxes of 50. There are two sources, foreign and domestic with an obvious quality difference. The ones shown are domestic and the best are made by "Gordon Brush", you can tell by the plywood handle. The ones I make are 4x19 row, 14" long x 1-1/8" wide, brush part is 6" with 1-1/8" trim. All brush companies buy and sell to each other.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Don't laugh, I was visited by Homeland Security because a Government customer found "Mysterious white powder" on our brushes...we use corn starch as a dry lubricant for the steel wire to make it feed beter. THAT was fun!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did you tell them they ought to get a real job?

Reply to
CW

Just like the vacuum tube manufacturers from a by gone era.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Tom Gardner" wrote

Was he smart enough to figure out that corn starch is cheaper and works better than cocaine?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Idiots here stopped all train traffic for the entire evening, recently, because some "bags with white powder" were found on tracks. It turned out very quickly that the bags contained "stearic acid" used to make candles. They fell of a train.

(a bonus homework question, why are some substances packed into bags. Because bags are easy to handle by workers. Hardly can be used for very hazardous stuff)

Stearic acid is as harmless as it could possibly be.

Despite that, no one wanted to take responsibility for just saying, come on, let's put the gloves on, set them aside and resume traffic.

So the dumbasses called out hazmat crews, which have rules limiting their working hours, so they also disrupted morning traffic removing them.

I saw it with my eyes as I was on those stopped commuter trains, I started walking along the tracks and saw the bags and laughed.

I once sold a military surplus incubator to a Kentucky farmer for growing turkey, and received many calls from some govt agency about that. Mind you, they sold that incubator to me. (it was, accidentally, my worst deal ever, paid $167 for it and sold for 0.01)

Ignoramus4507

Jay,

We carry a brass bristle brush that is like a paint brush. You can scroll to the bottom of this link:

is the brush alone:
home page has a dealer lookup via zip if this is what you are looking for.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Larson