Finally talked to Lee Valley

Page 2 of 3
David F. Eisan wrote:

I normally try to stay out of these little wars, but gawd that was ever a "coffee through the nose, non-stop laughter for five minutes" moment...
--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

OK - That was a good one 8~)
Erik

Can't answer whether an adjustable mouth is a gimmick or not, but the adjustable mouth is common on some other low angle smoothing and block planes. The Veritas is different in that it doesn't have an adjuster on top of the plane to make the adjustment. You loosen it by turning the knob on top, then adjust it from the underside by sliding it with your finger. The fit is good, but I advise taking it apart and smoothing the casting with a fine file. Just lightly, not too much. If not, I've found that if the casting is rough then the movement is not smooth. Therefore it sticks and you sometimes accidentally hit the blade, possibly messing up the edge. This isn't unique to the Veritas. Most new smoothers (even the Lie Nielsen) may need a little bit of "tuning". The sole/adjustable plate relationship will not be altered when you adjust the mouth. The sole + adjustable plate are always in the same plane. They stay that way even when flattening the sole. I've found the Veritas planes to be the best bang-for-the-buck planes out there. The adjustment is a lot better than the regular Stanley style like the Lie Nielsens. I have both the Veritas and the Lie Nielsen. The Lie Nielsen just sits ever since I got the Veritas.
Manny Livermore, CA
Hi, Manny,
Thanks for the tip on smoothing out the casting a "bit". kinda like smoothing the threads of the arbor on a new Unisaw. Had I not been given that little tidbit of info I would have wondered if Delta's machining tolerances were up to snuff. Fortunately for me, I get great "pre-sales" advice from good folks like yourself.
You are a lot closer than me to Woodcraft, Dublin. Do you ever shop there? I've been there twice, but hate to drive 680, which I did for about 3 1/2 years. Boy do I dislike that freeway. Especially with the concrete barriers on the left edge of the fast lane during construction. That's the only lane I know, except when I have to pull to the right to pass a slow-poke! :)
dave
Manny wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:23:34 +0000, Bay Area Dave wrote:

I'm gonna call the doctor that did my vasectomy and find out if his work is still guaranteed. After all, he told me that if Suzie from accounting ever tried to claim that something happened after the company picnic, why - I could just come back to him and he would take my side...
Can I be next - can I, can I?
Doug
can you be a what? a moron? a bozo? a knuckle dragging neander?
Pick one and I'll send you a hat with your personality type emblazoned upon it.
dave
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Bad monkey!
brought forth from the murky depths:

Christ, if you're going to come back with a "bad monkey" every time that asshole posts (what was it, 380 last month?) something, I'm gonna hafta plonk you, too, Keeter, and Doug, Sylvan, Trent, Charlie. Shit, too many otherwise good people.
Enough already, guys. DFTGDMFT!
-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --
Larry Jaques wrote:

Now that BAD's bought a sprayer I think "HVLP Dave" would be a more appropriate handle. In his case it would stand for "High Output - Little Purpose".

But C-less, aintcha gonna wind up eventually just readin' yer own posts, if'n ya keep going this way and ain't that sorta, well - solipsistic and wouldn't the isolation of the whole thing could make you as crazy as BAD.
I still like the "Take what you want and stick the rest...er - leave the rest." approach.
If'n we chase away BAD, we'll have ta break in a new mole to play whack-a-mole with.
'Course we've never lacked for new recruits in this area in the past but I don't think we've ever had one live this long since Bennett Leeds passed on into the void.
That's because I always wear a helmet while posting to the Wreck. Gives me "staying" power.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Ummm, maybe that should be DFTGDMFBM!?
UA100
I heard that!...
too much monkey business. got an obsesssion with small furry animals, Keith?
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I heard that!...
too much monkey business. got an obsession with small furry animals, Keith?
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bad monkey!
we COULD all chip in for some more intensive therapy (for you; not your furry friends)
dave
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Bad monkey!
BORING monkey...