Finally saw Nahmie for first time in 20 years...

Page 1 of 4
Flipping channels for SWMBO, came across a woodworking show on PBS. Ah, there's Nahmie.
I was surprised he used his TS and dado stack for all the tenons, and the T&G rails and stiles. Hell, why didn't he just whip out his rail and stile set for his 5 HP shaper? He pulled out everything else.
Count me a Royd I reckon. I do use power stuff, and there are a few more power flummies I'd like to acquire, but I REALLY can't see having that much gadgetry in my shop. I'll bet he spent two full hours off camera jiggling the settings on all those machines and horking up a huge pile of test scraps so he could awe his audience by powering noisily through a few feet of wood with banshee precision.
Where's your sense of creativity Nahmie? And using a utility knife to do a crap job of rounding the points on the tenons to make them fit in routahed round holes does not quality. That's what chisels are for, Nahmie. Chisels. You ever use a chisel? Not since about 1985 I guess.
I used to watch Nahmie and Roy when I was in high school or suchabouts. Haven't watched either one of them in 20 years. Not planning to bother finding Roy, but I really ought to make a point to watch one episode for old time's sake to purify my spirit after sitting through that. Crikey, Nahmie. Even my ten year old son was shouting "Oh come ON man!" at the TV.
That ain't woodworking, Nahmie, that just ain't woodworking. It's manufacturing.
Ok, let's stop and think for a second... His show is sponsored by???????
Why would he not use power tools?
The guys making a comfortable living doing something he enjoys with tools provided by sponsors.
Perhaps his reasonableness is what got him his show. (Do you have a show?)

Markndawoods wrote:

Don't know, don't care.

I use power tools too, but yeeeeeeesh.

Sling all the crap at me you want. I think there's an oscillating, reciprocating, variable speed crap slinger you can use. I'm pretty sure Nahmie had three of those.

On my local PBS the last couple weeks, Roy has been making a chess set and board. One "army" is all miniture hand tools - the knight is a try square, IIRC, the bishop is a cast pewter hammer. The other "army" is mini power tools - the queen is a shop vac, the bishop is a bandsaw and the pawns are, as Roy pronounced it, "rowtahs" (with a little chuckle thrown in).
Roy spoofed and teased Norm a couple years back too though I can't recall the setup.
____

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Stop me if you've heard this before.
I met Norm one Saturday morning last century at the wood show in Atlanta (the big 'un/the mother of all wood shows/The IWF) and, well, I had him sign my Galoot cap. Seemed at the time somewhat heretical but that was my shtick (sp?) at the time. We finished up the show and my host (BitchSlapBobZajicek) wondered if I wanted to see Highland Hardware. Well Duh Bahb!?
So anyways, here we were at Highland Hardware and who was there setting up for a seminar? Uh-huh, His Royness. Off came the Galoot cap for his signature. Upon seeing Norm's autograph Roy hollered, "Unclean! Unclean!" and made the sign of the cross.
He did end up signing it.
By the way, Norm didn't appear to know what a Galoot was. Roy did.
UA100, who still has the cap hanging in the shoppe.
Say what you want about Norm, but I think that he has done more to advance the hobby of woodworking and get more people involved in it than anyone else.
He is what he is - a carpenter is what I think the NYW credits say. No pretense there.
I have only been a woodworking hobbyist for the last 15-20 years, but someday I hope to be good enough to be cynical too.
Lou

IIRC Russ Morash hired him to build the NYW for his, Russ, use and when he saw the small pile of scrap wood got the idea for the show. Other side of the building is for Marion Morash cooking shtuff.

Yah, that comment still irks me every time I produce an offcut longer than 4", which seems to happen every time I use the saw, any saw. I get to wondering how many times Norm had already built a shop so that he knows what dimensions to choose that will limit waste. Like that optimal box from a rectangle someone else asked about, I don't think you can really do this sort of thing in your head when you're designing and building at the same time. Hmmm. Maybe that's the secret; design first. :)
- Owen -
Lou:

Lou, If you think my reply was cynical you've mis-read. I for one have sung the praises of Norm for as long as anyone. It's in the archives. Pointing out some of his "peculiarities" isn't necessarily cynical or damning (dissing David) him. The man is what he is. As a craftsman he is someone for some people to aspire to be as good as.
Now, for the record, Pre-Norm (P-N) we didn't have quite the range of wooddorking tools that we have today and the pricing certainly wasn't what it is today. All because of Norm? I'd be willing to bet the manufacturers would agree. Just check their sales charts against the history of Norm on TV. It's all there in black and white.
UA100

Add availability to that list.
I don't know how long Woodworkers Supply, Tool Crib of the North, Five Corners Ace Hardware, and a host of other mail order retailers have been around, but accessibility to them for the great unwashed has certainly increased exponentially since the advent of Norm.
And I, too, have been preaching that same gospel for a long time.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Hi UA100,
Sorry, my post was in respone to the OP, not yours - which I thought was funny.
I think constructive criticism of someones work is good - I cringe sometimes when I see Norm reach for that brad nailer too!
On the other hand, I have learned a lot from him over the years.
I don't see the point in being "negative" just because he may not be up to some arbitrary standard which magically makes him a "woodworker" in one's eyes.
Lou

loutent wrote:

I hope you've got your nomex on, Silvan. There's a reason it's called rec.norm. what's interesting is the number of people who talk about how he nails everything that doesn't run away screaming. Or has to go to NH to be shown how to sharpen, or any of a variety of other things and then defend him strenuously when someone else points out his love of power tools.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Of course you are right in this...who could argue?
Happy woodworking!
Lou

I've always wondered about his use of the brad nailer. Has Norm have run a show where he's shown how to hide those brad nails? Nail set and a little plastic wood or whatever?
Hi Upscale,
I remember that in some of the earlier shows where he was making painted projects (I forget exactly which ones), that he was actually shown filling some of those nail holes.
He said that he liked to usie glazing compound instead of wood filler because it didn't shrink as much and stayed pliable.
Never tried it myself, but I guess it would work ok.
Lou

There's certianly something to that, but I have to wonder how many folks he's chased off woodworking by giving them the impression that you need $100,000 worth of tools to get started.
(As all true wreckers know, you can get a perfectly adequate beginners shop for just $10,000.)
--RC

you suck.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

ROTFL!
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:10:15 -0500, Silvan

OVER Norm's sig, I hope. <very evil grinne>
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
Ol' Keefer prattled on:

OK. Stop!!!

That could be your best story yet! Sad, really.
Yah, we've heard it before.