Finally...my own design...clock

Finally after woodworking for about a year now I have came up with a design that was not from a plan. It feels pretty good to see that it turned out just like I wanted it and I didn't have to use a single plan.

You can check it out over on ABPW or at

from spanish cedar with walnut accents. It has taken me about a week to finish it.

I would really appreciate some comments from another point of view about the design aspects. Please be honest.

As soon as it comes next week I will be extending the pendulum by another two inches for aesthetic reasons.

Ken Gunter

CH-47D Chinook Pilot

snipped-for-privacy@ch47.org

Reply to
47Driver

the top board makes it look a tad top heavy epically with that short pendulum. Great use of grain patterns, back of pendulum box looks real good. finish looks good and I like the joint detail. Overall I would give it a 8 out of 10 or a 9 when you get the new pendulum.

You aren't out of Campbell by any chance are you?

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Beautiful work!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Honestly, I think it's quite striking. You already know how ridiculous that itty bitty pendulum looks, so I won't comment further on that score. ;)

I think you maybe pushed the limit with that top in proportion to the rest of it. I might have made it a trifle smaller. Then again, it's really just more of a subtle taste thing, and I don't think it looks *wrong*, just probably not the way *I* would have done it, and I ain't no furniture designer.

I assume you're using an electronic movement with a fake pendulum. If so, I hope you had the decency to take a pass on the extremely lame electronic chime version. Nothing saddens me more than seeing a fine clock that

*beeps* the hour. Of course, that's a matter of personal taste too.

Oh, and FWIW, plans or not, the stuff you're showing on your site looks quite good to me. All my stuff tends to be utilitarian and ugly, and I feel all ashamed of myself now for never making anything as pretty as what you've turned out, in spite of having had a lot longer to practice than you have.

You'll do fine, Grasshopper, so scamper off and go make some sawdust.

Reply to
Silvan
47Driver presents:

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ken, you did a terrific job. Love those accents.

-- Ed. O. My woodworking projects at:

the NAIL from e-mail to reply

Reply to
Ed. O.

Overall, very nice. The top looks a bit our of proportion unless there is a reason to have some weather protection or something. Everything else is well done.

As for that 2" extension, I get email for things like that all the time. Let me know how it works out. I may order a couple of them. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sun, Sep 28, 2003, 11:08am snipped-for-privacy@ch47.org (47Driver) says: comments from another point of view about the design aspects.

I think it looks pretty damn good, and I don't see anything wrong with the top.

After you mentioned it, I did notice the pendulum. If you extend it, be sure it doesn't throw your time off. Maybe make the next one a bit shorter - clock, not pendulum.

But, now that you mentioned it, I have seen clocks that had frosted designs in the bottom of the glass, and an oval showing the pendulum - seemingly about the same proportions as yours. As well as come with a wooden front, and an oval showing the pendulum, again, simila proportions.

But, as long as you're happy, I wouldn't worry a lot about what other people think. Anyway, it will be happily accepted as a sacrifice for the Woodworking Gods, no prob. LOL

JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.

- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 26 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT