Finally! My new router arrived!

Had the Dewalt 618 in my amazon cart for 8 months. Finally decided to take the plunge and ordered it. It arrived yesterday. I can't wait to use it! I think I'll order a bit or two next month. LMAO! I forgot to order any bits... dumass me.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

I got one not too long ago too. I take it that, during the last 8 months, you looked at at least one book on using routers. I did a quick review before I used mine. Make sure the cord is clear and free before you flip the switch.. and have fun! I only mention that because once I caught myself standing on the cord...
Bill
On 8/6/2011 11:15 AM, Bill wrote:

I've used an old Craftsman router for years. I love this soft start feature, I can tell you that already!
--
Steve Barker
On 8/7/2011 12:33 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Use a router with a soft-start AND an electronic brake and you'll never want to do without either feature. My old Makita 3612C (now out of production) has both and I love it.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 8/7/2011 12:33 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Use a router with a soft-start AND an electronic brake and you'll never want to do without either feature. My old Makita 3612C (now out of production) has both and I love it.
============== Electronic brake? Ohhhhh! need a new router!!
I love the soft start but when first getting it out, for each session, I sometimes wonder if it is not plugged in just for that second of eternity that it takes to start up.
--
Eric

Hmm, I thought the DW618 was a fixed-base router. ;-)

Even HomeDespot can fix that. You might also look around for a "D-handle" base for it. I find they're a lot more useful (controllable), for a fixed base router, than the knobs on the side.
On 8/6/2011 11:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It came with the fixed base and the plunge base. LOL!
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

You might take a look at these guys for some of your bits. Jim
http://www.cripedistributing.com /

Ditto that. I ran into Cripe on eBay a few years back. Good prices and service.
On 8/10/2011 8:23 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Thanks for the reply. And thank you Jim. I had missed your recommendation until R brought it back up. Do you guys consider these "carb tech" bits to be of pretty good quality?
--
Steve Barker
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:43:10 -0500, Steve Barker

I have a number of Carb Tech bits including a 7 piece raised panel door set that I purchased at Woodworker's Warehouse about 15 years ago. I've had no problems with any of their bits and they're still goin' strong.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 8/11/2011 5:50 AM, Nova wrote:

THANKS for the reply. I think i'll try them then. I got my eye on that set for $60. Be a good starting point.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

I also have some. I also ran across them on E-bay and I live locally so I can visit their store all to frequently. Jim