Finally finished something.

Page 1 of 2

Long time lurker, first time poster. (try not to be too harsh)
http://woodblog.sitestrong.com /
Mike
Curly cottonwood, eh? I never would have thought that would make pretty wood, but the lid of your box sure is beautiful! Keep up the good work, Andy
Wow... the figure in that wood is something to behold.
Nice Job.
Mike W.
MikeMac wrote:

Yeah, I've got some cotton wood somewhere,, I don't remember where. I thought it was pretty much junk. but now,,,,
Tom in KY, something new, something cool. Nice work Mike Mac!

I bet that depth is just incredible when looked at in stereo.
On a scale from 1 to 10, it's a solid A.
Nice!
Very nice work Mike. As mentioned, the depth is great. I did one 2 weeks ago very similar in design, a bit smaller on the opener "handle", I like your slightly larger size handle. Hope the following URL works, have not tried this before:
http://members.kos.net/joe_cotter/box1.jpg
Carcass = figured maple, mortise and tenon construction Legs = cocobolo Lid = Rosewood with MOP inlay, brass pin hinges
Prior link didn't work - try this one
http://members.kos.net/joe_cotter/image/box1.jpg
The OneThou entity posted thusly:

Still doesn't work for me.
Oleg Lego wrote:

Apologize for the dead links, very rusty on the web page stuff. 2 hours of online tutorial later! - please try this link
http://members.kos.net/joe_cotter/index.htm

Looks nice!!
The OneThou entity posted thusly:

No problem. Th3e box sounded good, and I really wanted to see it.
That's VERY nice! If you don't mind a few questions...
How thick are the sides?
Is there a rabbet on the underside of the lid or on the top of the sides?
What sort of hinging does it have?
Thanks, glad my link now works, I'll post some more boxes up later now that I have it figured out. The sides are about 1/4" thick. No rabbet, the "tongue" keeps the lid properly oriented when closed. The hinging is small brass rod, inserted thru sides into the lid, first time I tried this and worked out well much better than small brass hinges I had been using on prior boxes. Very stable with no play. Just taped the lid in place and drilled thru sides and about 1/2" into the lid. This leaves the pins exposed on the sides but they are polished and nice decorative effect.
Joe.
The OneThou entity posted thusly:

MOP?
Oleg Lego wrote:

Mother of pearl, I presume.
- Brooks

Yes, MOP = mother of pearl http://members.kos.net/joe_cotter/index.htm

Tell us about how you got the piece of cottonwood. The only cottonwood I have ever dealt with was just soaking in water and took a year to dry enough for firewood! I never heard about anybody using it for fine woodworking. But I am in the Pacific Northwest too.
Another comment about your web page. Jewelry is spelled with just one l and without the extra e. Jewelry, instead of Jewellery
Good looking stuff. I presume that the wife is pleased.
The Cottonwood reminds me of the old story about the guy who went to Alaska and wanted to build a cabin. He consulted with an old Sourdough about the construction. The old timer's final advice was, "Whatever you do, don't use Cottonwood, cuz a 12" log will shrink 2" a year for fourteen years!"
Let us know how your nice piece of work ages. Bugs
p.s. There are a lot of sharp tongues on this board, but all but the trolls have good hearts.
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:07:36 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

In the UK he had it spelt correct - and man does it look odd seeing "jewelry" LOL!!!
Are you a brit-abroad, Mike?
Cheers,
Andy
--
Andy Jeffries | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

According to Webster's on-line dictionary:
"Jewellery": One entry found for jewellery.
Main Entry: jewellery chiefly British variant of JEWELRY
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05