Finally - A Use for This Stuff

If you've ever used button lac, decanted the shellac and didn't know what to do with that cloudy mocha looking stuff left behind - I found a use. It's great for sealing the ends of green wood to slow down moisture loss and thus minimize cracks and splits.
I gave up on trying to live with the apricot tree behind the shop - up against the roof (not good for comp shingles unless you continually prune branches away from them AND continually clean off the residue that the tree and its passing occupants leave behind, Naturally, being at the back property line, the tree is under (and around) the phone lines and cable lines - though well below the power lines. Most of it is coming down in small, semi- easily managed, chunks. Out of respect for this tree, that was part of the orchard this development was built in back in the early 50s, I'm trying to save as much of the wood as possible. Having a bandsaw and a lathe, anything 10 inches or longer, semi-straight and at least two inches in diameter will find a use (spindle turning doesn't take a lot of wood and can produce some small pleasing objects. Boards from the larger chunks may someday be a jewelry box or the face of a drawer.or two.
So there's a growing stack of roughed to round cylinders end capped with kusmi button lac residue and shortly there will be a small stickered stach of apricot wood end sealed with the stuff. Sometimes it pays to not throw away "useless" stuff and you can never have too much wood, especially fruit wood.
charlie b

Full schedule drying precautions are advised. Apricot, although beautiful, has a reputation for unpredictable movement.
But at least you'll not be cleaning up after it any more. After you get the shavings done, that is.
Patriarch