Finally a happy Leigh Dovetail Jig user!

Greetings, I just thought I would post that after the many helpful guys on this group, I am making beautiful half blind dovetails with the Leigh D4 jig. Thanks again for all the help. What I learned:

1.Dedicate a router once you find the proper setting. 2.Straight lumber 3.Straight lumber 4.Enter the router into the jig pointing the same direction each time. 5.Learn the feel of the router riding on the jig. Don't lift up. Now to figure out how to contain the saw dust! Happy woodworking,

Ken Lamb

Reply to
Ken Lamb

Another suggestion use photo mount type glue to attach sandpaper to where the stock rests. It will prevent slipping.

Reply to
The Wolf

These are actually my #1 and #2 of any project I care about.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I bought the dust collection accessory ($38.50 at Lee Valley) and it improves the dust collection immensely and consequently makes using the jig even MORE enjoyable. Definitely worth it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Ken, Tis nice to hear a happy report. A dedicated router is a good idea but the temptation will be to leave the DT bit in. Not a good idea. The collet will lose its spring. Best to remove and then reset...but just cut into a block of wood or something for an easy setup block.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

That sounds reasonable.... but how many years does it take for a collet to loose its spring, and would it matter? I have had a 1611 Bosch hanging upside down in a router table since late 1988. Maybe mine has lost its spring but I would not know how to recognize it. The only time that there is not a bit in the router is when I change bits.

Reply to
Leon

Barry, Since implementing this in my projects they seem to go together.

Reply to
Ken Lamb

So Ken, I take it that you recommend this jig. I've been looking at dovetail jigs and the Leigh D4 certainly appears to kick ass. I just need to save up a little more money to get one. Of course, now the other thread wants me to get a second router so I can really kick ass when I make dovetails.

Reply to
jim wilson

Have you looked at the new Akeda dovetail jig yet? It's a lot easier than the Leigh.

Reply to
Joe

Do you mean centering the router bit in the router? Or are you talking about centering the dovetails.. I've never heard of a method of tuning a router so the bit is centered.. if this is possible, I'd like to learn.

Reply to
jim wilson

Move the base, if the guide is mounted to the base, to ensure the bit is centered. They also make cones for a centering aid. If you have some of the guides mounted otherwise, there is normally a method to center provided.

Some plunge routers will respond to a tap or two when they are half-tightened to get the bit centered.

Reply to
George

Why? I've got the Leigh. It seems easy enough as long as I don't do something stupid, like check for bit centering, and it goes 24".

Reply to
George

Yes I do! It took me some playing around before I asked some questions on this board. Then I watched the video and read the manual again after using it a few times. It all became clear. I have made HB dovetails in American Walnut, Cherry, Rock maple, H. Mahogany, and Braz. Rosewood. Just the slightest bit of tear out in the Mahogany. If you follow the directions on how to feed into the template. No problems really. I enjoy using the jig now. I dreaded it at first. I recommend the 8mm bits and the collet adapter. Now I'm an expert recommending things. Seriously the 8mm is more rigid. Best, Ken

Reply to
Ken Lamb