Finally a good day!!

Page 1 of 2
Getting old sucks!
2 months ago a couple of dopers ran my mailbox down so I got out the post hole diggers and set about to put down a new one. Well I got the mailbox taken care of, but in the process I sustained some injuries that are taking some time to heal. Got up the next morning with something called 'trigger finger', which would have been a good discription had I caught said dopers, Doc says I can learn to live with it or go see a orthepedic surgeon to take care of it.
Well that wasn't all, right elbow and shoulder set up tendonitis/bursitis, 9 weeks of Ibprofin 800 mg didn't even phase it, so I go today and get a cortizone shot in the shoulder. Doc also gave me Vioxx because I told him that at about 5 am every morn when the Ibprofin wears off I can't even roll over in the bed. Left Doc's office at 11 am today.
Well the worst part of the whole 9 weeks was that I didn't feel up to going out to work in the shop. I'm a barber working in a business run by my father, I work with him, my sister and my wife, my 65 year old mother serves as the receptionist. Now this arrangement introduces a certain amount of stress into my life and the only relief from it that I have found is this 30 x 60 building in the side yard that I call my woodshop.
Today was the first day that I was able to go out and get some stuff done. I put up some of those sturdy brackets up next to the cieling and stacked all my wood up on them, made a big dent in the clutter of the shop. Got a good deal done on my cabinet makers bench I've been working on since the first of the year, should actually be able to finish this weekend if I didn't get over ambitious and make things worse today. I also replaced a porchlight on the shop with a motion sensing floodlight.
Needless to say a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders this day, so much so that I don't dread going to work tomorrow, I believe I could even stand my father telling me a few times more how if I lost 50 or 60 lbs I wouldn't have so many problems. I think that this is his favorite thing to say to me for the last 15 years now, maybe you begin to see why working in a barber shop with close relatives is so stressfull now.
Happily making sawdust again
The Kentucky Highlander
..

Yes, yo have a lot to look forward to. Any your not even old yet!

Sure is nice to have a shop to escape to. Working with family has to be the most stressful of any. Keep the chips flying. Ed
RE: Subject
You wake up in the morning.
You swing your feet over the side of the bed and feel them hit the floor.
You check and both lungs seem to be working.
After that, everything else that day is bonus money.
You have another shot at another day, what more can you ask?
Just the way I look at it.
--
Lew

I'm still on top of the grass. Beats hell out of the alternative.
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
Norman D. Crow wrote:

listed, it's a good day.     mahalo,     jo4hn ps Heard that the first time from George Burns (IIRC).
Wasn't complaining, was just praising the end of a long streak of bad luck. Took the first dose of the Vioxx today and haven't felt this darn good in I don't know how long, I honestly didn't realize my hands and fingers were that stiff. Now I'm loose as a rag doll, seems to actually taken care of the trigger finger as well.
If this continues I don't think I will know what to do. ;-)
KY

I always heard getting old ain't for sissys. Now I know what they were talking about. Pain is no fun, but retirement is great!!
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:31:34 -0400, "Kentucky Highlander"

Got a few years before I can retire, but man I am looking forward to it.
KY

Watch that Vioxx if you are taking other medications and have someone monitor your IQ for the first week or two to make sure you do not go stupid. In combination with a sleeping pill that stuff turned me into an idiot to dumb to know I was stupid, for about 4 months. Good luck with the rest of it.
JJ Cheap teak, remove the cigar to reply
Kentucky Highlander wrote:

I couldn't stand much of an IQ drop, my german shepard thinks she and I are intellectual equals at the moment and I would hate to hand her the upper hand.
KY

<snip tale of pain>

<snip tale of *better day*>
Ain't that Cortisone great stuff? Get an "oil change" in my knees every 6 wk.(last time he got 26-28cc. fluid out of right knee). That, Celebrex, & some 750 Vicodin keep me moving(barely) until I can get enough weight off to be worth new knees. Rodger is right, it ain't for sissy's. SWMBO has to go for "rotator cuff" surgery in early June(now how the hell did I escape that handling freight & cranking dollies all those years?).
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

Yes sir I would tend to agree with that.

I cannot take narcotic pain killers, something with my chemistry causes me to absolutely freek out, I begin thinking everyone is out to get me.

I hate to hear that, the replacement parts don't seem to work quite as well as the original equipment did. Good luck to her.
KY
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:25:15 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

Nahms, try the Candida Diet. It's built to eliminate the yeast in your body but always has an added benefit of showing you your food allergies (so you can avoid those foods in the future) and helping you to lose weight. I dropped 13 lbs in about 5 weeks and am adding foods to my diet now. I found Dr. Crook's "Candida Cookbook" on www.Half.com for $3 ($6.28 with shipping.)
Most of my arthritic pain, knee pain, headaches, and over-acid condition went away within the first week. They stay away while I eat well. I'm happily stunned.
The diet sucks the big one (any diet does) but the benefits are way more than I had imagined.
NOTE: If you find some bread called "Ener G Brown Rice Yeast-free Loaf", quickly RUN AWAY! I have tasted Sahara sand which had more free moisture and taste than that stuff. Yuk!
P.S: It's because I feel better and have more energy that I've been in the shop making things lately.
Bob, Dave, jo4hn, Conan, et al, go see: http://diversify.com/wood / I updated the old page to show the guitar stand. See? It's in my living room now. ;)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com

Agreed, they all do. I've tried most of them, but what with depression, etc., just can't hang in there. I'm classed "morbidly obese"(400+lb.), and just started the "loop" to get gastric bypass surgery later this year. My primary doctor has been pushing @ me, one of the teachers where I volunteer is absolutely ecstatic over hers, and I've been to some support group meetings, gathering info.
Some of the results sound almost miraculous - - as the weight sloughs off, you get off blood pressure meds, diabetic meds, etc., etc. Then too, if I can dump about 100-150lb., my orthopedic doctor will go for new knee joints.
Talking about food allergies, I have a daughter & grandson who both have "wheat" allergy. Talk about sucks! I may mention the Candida book to her.
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:31:46 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"

Hey, with a brand spankin' new Harbor Freight stapler, we could...
On the serious side, I wish you all the luck in the world with that. My knees and I have been unhappy with only 40 extra pounds I put on since I varied from my ideal high-school weight of 180.

Yeah, my knees sure took a beating with my litle extra weight. I can't imagine... G'luck!

My sister, an herbalist, says it puts you on a "live food" diet consisting primarily of whole grains (other than corn/wheat), veggies, and non-chicken/beef meats. I never went for some of their breakfast recommendations (fish 'n grits) but some of the different grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet) are great. I'm still learning to rotate my foods, eating a wider variety of them during the month.
Correction on the title, it's "The Yeast Connection Cookbook" by Dr. William G. Crook, M.D. & Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N.
Energy to create sawdust with!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
Norman, My wife had gastric bypass in 99. The benefits to her health are so extreme its hard to list them. Even the small things you get used to and ignore like the snoring and the fatigue. Being able to ride in a car for an extended period of time. Just so many things have changed. On the other hand so many things upset her stomach now. She cant eat really rich or sweet foods. Even 5 years out of surgery last night we had pizza for dinner and she gave it up to the porcelain god. Make sure you go to the support meetings and speak with the people that are post op. She says she would do it all over again would not have waited so long before she did it. Also there are several web sites online that offer chat rooms and news groups for the surgery. Good luck to you. Puff

Norman, My wife had gastric bypass in 99. The benefits to her health are so extreme its hard to list them. Even the small things you get used to and ignore like the snoring and the fatigue. Being able to ride in a car for an extended period of time. Just so many things have changed. On the other hand so many things upset her stomach now. She cant eat really rich or sweet foods. Even 5 years out of surgery last night we had pizza for dinner and she gave it up to the porcelain god. Make sure you go to the support meetings and speak with the people that are post op. She says she would do it all over again would not have waited so long before she did it. Also there are several web sites online that offer chat rooms and news groups for the surgery. Good luck to you. Puff
Puff, Yup, I should have gotten serious about it a couple years ago when my doctor first started pushing me about it. I've been doing quite a bit of research on the web and attending a support group "pre-op" to find out about it. I'm aware of the limitations to what you can eat. Different people have different limitations, according to what I've heard in the group. Whole new way of life, but at least I'll HAVE a life. I'm getting sick & tired of being sick & tired! Got too many things to do before I'm done, and I can't do them from a wheelchair or when I can't get down on floor and back up again without assistance(well, not quite THAT bad yet, but almost).
Thanks for the encouragement. I know the group I've been attending all say the same as your wife - they would do it over again in a minute!
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

In our family of four - three (Mom, Dad and Bro) ended up all working in one business for a few years. When things were "good", they were great. but when things went bad - they really went bad.
Ain't it funny how Dad will always be Dad, no matter if you're 8, 18 or 48?

Yep I've been working in this arrangement for 28 years now. LOL And some folks still come in and ask for "The Boy" LOL
KY

does your father let you use the straight razor?