filling nail holes

I seem to remember reading that you can fill nailholes and small gaps with the dust left over from sanding and some glue. Does this sound right to anyone?

I has been done, but some times you get "sparkle" from the occasional piece of grit off of the sand paper that works loose, gets mixed in and placed in the crack or hole. And if you stain the glue does not always work out well.

Since you will never get the color perfect, go darker; much less visible than lighter.

It will fill the hole but might not take stain as well as you would like. I don't finish much myself but when I finished my basement trim I used the stuff in the little jars that you can get at the BORG or about any hardware store. I got a color lighter and a color darker than I thought I needed and mixed my own variations. I had four or five mixes on the same board to use as I walked around filling nail holes. Oh...I applied it after all staining and finishing.
Mike O.

I use the DAP putty to fill holes left by finish nails when the finish is paint. It doesn't dry, shrink, and fall out.

I stain the dust before mixing it with the glue using the same stain I use on the wood. Let it dry for a few hours and then mix it with the glue (I use Titebond III). Works well and is a lot less noticeable than trying to stain it after it is mixed and applied.

For #6 and smaller, hit with a few drops of Superglue and sand. Ready to finish in 30 seconds.

you did..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing