Filler question

Reply to
nospambob

I just bought my daughters the plastic carpet protector from an office store for $8 (in Orlando). I'd guess you'll spend more in time and materials to make the plywood do the job.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
Jim K

Hello, All:

I use a piece of ½-inch plywood over the rug in my office as a base for my desk chair. It's about 4 feet x 6 feet. I use the widest possible rollers on the chair (5 rollers) and it's worked quite well for about three years.

Recently, probably because of some small voids, the surface has broken down and become a little rough. Not everywhere. . .just one or two places. The surface has never been finished.

In fact, I could live with this small problem except for the fact that this office is at home, in the spare bedroom, and it's annoying as H*** to pick those splinters out of my feet!

Now, instead of replacing the wood, I'd like to fill the rough areas with some kind of mastic, sand it and then finish it, probably with a varnish of some kind.

The truth is, it's a real pita to haul the wood away and replace it. Yeah, I'll do it if I must, but, believing in the concept of maximum entropy, I'm willing to do almost anything to avoid it. (Except wear shoes at home. . . I live in Florida.)

I (and my feet) will be eternally grateful for any ideas as to what kind of tough filler and finish would be appropriate for this job.

Thanks,

Pixmaker in FLL ========================== It's not the heat, it's the humidity! ========================== (...Think the humidity's bad? You should watch us vote!)

Reply to
Pixmaker

epoxy putty.

Reply to
bridger

Yup, sounds good. There are a number of auto body fillers that are not epoxy but will fill the bill. Not pretty under varnish but fine under a paint.

rhg

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Can't you just flip-it (putting the rough side down?). Or is it rougher that way? Personally, I'd go with one of those mats available at the office supply store. I currently don't use a mat. I have shag-like carpeting and my desk chair (w/ 5 casters) has no problem with it. My 2 cents. Have fun. Joe

Pixmaker wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein