Filler for plywood edges ?

Application is 1/2" plywood - vertical pieces for a set of storage shelves. Need to fill exposed edges (voids, gaps, etc.) prior to rounding corners, and then paint.
What filler to use?
Thanks for comments and suggestions..
Grov

My preferences, in the order I'd probably use them:
- Edge banding tape - A solid wood applied edge - drywall compound or bondo, followed by an easy sanding auto body primer or Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac.
Grover wrote:

Bondo or other auto body filler. Applies easily, sands easily, machines well, holds well, paints well.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Which would seem to make a hardwood edge a good idea.
Grover wrote:

Good choice IMO...neither tape nor wood strip fill voids; if you have a void one ply from the top, it is nice to have it filled so it has some support.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Thanks guy's!
Bondo it is - I thought about edge banding and adding a wood strip, but thee shelves are strictly utilitarian, and will see a lot of rough handling...
Grov
Kate wrote:

That is basically colored plaster (gypsum). Auto body filler is polyester resin and powdered talc. Talc is about as non-absorbent a material as you can get.
Additionally, auto body filler sets up via a catalyst which means the working time can be controlled to some degree by the amount of catalyst used. In any case, it sets up much, much more rapidly than water putty and - IMO - is easier to sand.
--

dadiOH
Grover wrote:

If you edge band you can add some stiffness to the shelf. 1/2" ply isn't something I would consider for a utilitarian shelf without some additional support/stiffing mechanism. But maybe you've already considered the strength of the shelves and their size.
ron

I've had good luck with Elmer's wood filler. It dries by evaporation in about an hour, and it's easy to sand. I usually apply it _after_ I round over the edges.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
ron wrote:

woodworking projects.     grump,     jo4hn :-)