Filler for plywood edges ?

Application is 1/2" plywood - vertical pieces for a set of storage shelves. Need to fill exposed edges (voids, gaps, etc.) prior to rounding corners, and then paint.

What filler to use?

Thanks for comments and suggestions..

Grov

Reply to
Grover

My preferences, in the order I'd probably use them:

- Edge banding tape

- A solid wood applied edge

- drywall compound or bondo, followed by an easy sanding auto body primer or Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac.

**
**

B A R R Y

Bondo or other auto body filler. Applies easily, sands easily, machines well, holds well, paints well.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks guy's!

Bondo it is - I thought about edge banding and adding a wood strip, but thee shelves are strictly utilitarian, and will see a lot of rough handling...

Grov

Reply to
Grover

Which would seem to make a hardwood edge a good idea.

RicodJour

Good choice IMO...neither tape nor wood strip fill voids; if you have a void one ply from the top, it is nice to have it filled so it has some support.

Reply to
dadiOH

What about "Rock Hard Water Putty"

K.

Bondo it is - I thought about edge banding and adding a wood strip, but thee shelves are strictly utilitarian, and will see a lot of rough handling...

Grov

Reply to
Kate

That is basically colored plaster (gypsum). Auto body filler is polyester resin and powdered talc. Talc is about as non-absorbent a material as you can get.

Additionally, auto body filler sets up via a catalyst which means the working time can be controlled to some degree by the amount of catalyst used. In any case, it sets up much, much more rapidly than water putty and - IMO - is easier to sand.

Reply to
dadiOH

Grover wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've had good luck with Elmer's wood filler. It dries by evaporation in about an hour, and it's easy to sand. I usually apply it _after_ I round over the edges.

Reply to
Steve

If you edge band you can add some stiffness to the shelf. 1/2" ply isn't something I would consider for a utilitarian shelf without some additional support/stiffing mechanism. But maybe you've already considered the strength of the shelves and their size.

ron

Reply to
r payne

How about the epoxy that bearded "Oxy-Clean" numbskull is pushing on TV. He attempts to repair a table leg with the stuff. Who knows, one day, you may want to pull a fully loaded 18-wheeler with your shelf.

Reply to
ron

Hey hey! That putty stuff may well someday replace *Spackle* for fine woodworking projects. grump, jo4hn :-)

Reply to
jo4hn