I built a fiber drum dust separator for my DC system, but there is a
little problem. It doesn't separate! I have tried several different ways of
baffling , directional nozzles, etc. but the dust and chips still flow
through to the DC.
Anyone out there in the Wreck now of plans or drawings for a drum
separator that works?
Mine is a fiber drum about 18 inches in diameter. It had a tight fitting
metal lid . I used two air duct elbows stuck up through holes cut in the
lid. They are facing opposite directions. One is connected to the hose
from the blower, the other to the shop system. It works extremely well
except for the fine dust, but that is why it is called a separator. The
chips and shavings do not go through the impeller so they can't clog it
up. I can supply pictures if desired.
It could be your drum is not tall enough. You are no doubt using a real
DC and not a shopvac. Perhaps if you lessened the suction on your DC
just as an experiment and see if the larger dust will stay in the drum.
If so then I guess you would need a taller one.
bo whunter wrote:
I found a very simple plan for a fibre drum collector. Easy to build
and it works REALLY well. I believe it came out of Shop Notes from
within the last three years.
Basically a simple box is built on top of the drum lid (for easy
removal). The box has a piece of wood splitting it. That piece of
wood extends down into the drum approx. 14 inches (it wouldn't hurt if
this piece of wood were longer..). The inlet and outlet are on
opposite side of the box.
The top of the "box" has a piece of plexiglass so that you can see
when it gets full.
The result is that the chips and dust hit the block of wood and drop ,
while the air flows up and around, out the outlet side.
When the fibre drum is full and needs to be emptied, the bottom bag on
my dust collector typically has about 1-2 inches of fine dust in it.
The fibre drum I used is a 200L size (approx 50 US gallon).
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:47:32 -0500, Jules
Sounds like you aren't making the dust spin in the separator. I
used a 55 gallon drum and opened up a flnge in the top 1/3 of the
side of it. I just threw it together to have something that
worked, but its been sitting there working ever since. (pretty
good too) See
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/bigredshop/photos.html for a
photo... I have replaced the flex pipe with 4" PVC so it looks a
little different now.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.