fiber drum dust separator

Hello Group, I built a fiber drum dust separator for my DC system, but there is a little problem. It doesn't separate! I have tried several different ways of baffling , directional nozzles, etc. but the dust and chips still flow through to the DC. Anyone out there in the Wreck now of plans or drawings for a drum separator that works?
TIA,
Bowhunter
Mine is a fiber drum about 18 inches in diameter. It had a tight fitting metal lid . I used two air duct elbows stuck up through holes cut in the lid. They are facing opposite directions. One is connected to the hose from the blower, the other to the shop system. It works extremely well except for the fine dust, but that is why it is called a separator. The chips and shavings do not go through the impeller so they can't clog it up. I can supply pictures if desired.
bowhunter wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
bo whunter wrote:

I found a very simple plan for a fibre drum collector. Easy to build and it works REALLY well. I believe it came out of Shop Notes from within the last three years.
Basically a simple box is built on top of the drum lid (for easy removal). The box has a piece of wood splitting it. That piece of wood extends down into the drum approx. 14 inches (it wouldn't hurt if this piece of wood were longer..). The inlet and outlet are on opposite side of the box.
The top of the "box" has a piece of plexiglass so that you can see when it gets full.
The result is that the chips and dust hit the block of wood and drop , while the air flows up and around, out the outlet side.
When the fibre drum is full and needs to be emptied, the bottom bag on my dust collector typically has about 1-2 inches of fine dust in it.
The fibre drum I used is a 200L size (approx 50 US gallon).
Scott
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:47:32 -0500, Jules

Sounds like you aren't making the dust spin in the separator. I used a 55 gallon drum and opened up a flnge in the top 1/3 of the side of it. I just threw it together to have something that worked, but its been sitting there working ever since. (pretty good too) See http://www.wood-workers.com/users/bigredshop/photos.html for a photo... I have replaced the flex pipe with 4" PVC so it looks a little different now.

there is a

different ways of

still flow

drum