FFFFFFF

I don't know how you guys with disorganized shops do it. I can't.

I put down an inspection mirror yesterday, I can't find it today, while re-doing the dust collector, I need to look in, the baffle is not working as well as I hoped, so I need to make a neutral vane, and I need to see the cone's fit so I can make the vane fit well.

Damn I can't find the inspection mirror... It's so F'ng frustrating putting something down and not being able to find it... a few hours now..

I've moved on put that aside, but am still fumed over the fact that I can learn to put things away and it still happens.

I guess the re-training isn't over.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:bNKdnaLxZotMOYXOnZ2dnUVZ_o- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Once I looked all over for the super glue cap. I just couldn't find it... turns out I was looking for a translucent white cap but the cap was black. Sometimes it helps to look for the right thing. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thirty years ago (so age wasn't an issue ;-), a friend lost his framing square in his condo. Now it is three floors, all finished. But still, where does a framing square go? When he moved out, he still hadn't found it. My guess was that it was hiding with the socks.

Reply to
krw

Too many birthdays Jeff. I know it happens. WW

I don't know how you guys with disorganized shops do it. I can't.

I put down an inspection mirror yesterday, I can't find it today, while re-doing the dust collector, I need to look in, the baffle is not working as well as I hoped, so I need to make a neutral vane, and I need to see the cone's fit so I can make the vane fit well.

Damn I can't find the inspection mirror... It's so F'ng frustrating putting something down and not being able to find it... a few hours now..

I've moved on put that aside, but am still fumed over the fact that I can learn to put things away and it still happens.

I guess the re-training isn't over.

Reply to
WW

I don't have a dust collector, so I have to occasionally move my power tools (they're on wheels) and vacuum underneath. That's when I usually find what I was sure was lost :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I didn't until a few days ago.

But all my tools have had a vac connected via piping. it has worked well, and I'll continue with most tools. Just the planer is going to the DC when I get it fixed up. All others seem to work well on the Vac for chip collection.

I am putting an internal Thein baffle in, and will also build a Thein separator. The baffle does not seem to be as optimal in the dc as I would think... I tried someone elses tophat and that might be more efficient in the DC.

Reply to
woodchucker

This is what is called: "disguised as part of the room".

I can find anything in less than a minute, provided I wasn't using it a minute ago!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

That's a good name for it! I call in my wife. She doesn't know where anything supposed to be, so she can often help me locate things by description quickly--carpet knife, screw driver, ...

Reply to
Bill

Did you look inside the DC?

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------------------------ Quickest way to find a "lost" item, go buy a replacement.

You are sure to find the old one when you get back from the store.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

:-P yes.

Found another mirror to use finally. Still haven't found the inspection mirror....

Reply to
woodchucker

I've finally solved the missing tape measure problem: I now own about 6 mea sures, equally distributed to various flat surfaces in my shop. I also buy pencils by the box as they disappear quickly too. Thank God my TS, BS and lathe have learned to stay in one place :-)

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

"Gramps' shop" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The lathe can be used to make a pencil into a pointy stick, so you know where your pencil sharpener is too. :-) (You probably need a 3-jaw chuck and a steady rest may be useful, but think of all you'll save by only taking off the amount you need to restore the point!)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

When I was a kid I built a couple muzzleloaders in my bedroom. One of them was a nearly useless little single shot pistol that I think was called a New Orleans Ace. While trying to get the main spring, main spring strut, hammer, and hammer cross pin in place things slipped on me. The spring and strut went flying. I found the spring right away but could not find the strut...

During my search I literally took everything out of the room carefully inspecting everything as I did so. When I say I was removing everything I mean everything... I got to the point where the bed, desk, dresser, rug, etc. was gone and the only things left in the room were the ceiling light and the curtains. I finally found the strut in the bottom hem of the curtain on the opposite wall about 10 feet from where I was working! I guess the upside was that everything in the room got a good dusting and was put away in an orderly fashion! LOL

John ...that was a good 40 years ago. I wonder how much jail time a high school kid would get today for building a working pistol and having explosives (i.e, black powder) ?? Hard to call it progress...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

We made a long gun out of sched 40 water pipe with a threaded on cap, drilled to allow the wick of a 2" firecracker to stick through. We loaded it with a wad of rag and marbles or ball bearings. Aimed it up at the water tower and lit the wick - bounced the shot off the water tower.(almost a block away) Over 40 years ago. Like almost 50 (I was likely about 14 at the time.)

Reply to
clare

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 23:17:05 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

No jail time, just stupidity. I remember when I bought my first .45 colt pistol. Got home and just had to try it out. My parents weren't at home, so I went down to the basement and shot it into a log of wood. I was pretty much deaf for the next hour.

Reply to
none

The secret is simple. You just put things away in a place where you will know to go when you need that particular item. Then it will be there when you need it. As soon as I find that place, everything I ever put away will be there. It is going to be a bit pile too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it's like mine there will be 3 or 4 of everything i commonly use

-----. My memory is very good, but it's getting short. And when I put something down while I'm working, I generally put it somewhere where it is out of my way so I won't knock it down, yet close at hand - somewhere that AT THE TIME makes sense. When I find it an hour, or a week, or a month later, I ask myself, why the 7734 would you put it THERE you DUMMY?????

Reply to
clare

:-O

Reply to