festool too expensive for you and feeling lucky

Page 1 of 3
well are ya
http://www.mcfeelystv.com/festoolsweepstakes.html
i hope for the sake of some vigorous discussion here that a non-festool owner wins and can report back here will the winner convert completely over to festool if they win one
will they join the ranks of other festool owners and extol the virtues of festool forevermore will they provide a teardown revealing all will they just remind us frequently that they won and we did not will they chastise me for posting this because they secretly really really really want a festool and do not want the sweepstakes to be known
On 9/19/2015 2:02 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Interesting enough, many many woodworkers have been creating and performing within their hobbies and/or profession for many many years prior to Festool. Somehow I believe they will still get along well if they still don't have one.
As with many other products, just another overrated money grabbing device to help make the CEOs wealthier. I'm sure their tools have some advantages, but they aren't the Holy Grail of the woodworking industry, IMO.
On 9/19/2015 5:13 PM, Meanie wrote:

Does you shirt fit with that chip on your shoulder?
Yes, Festool is high priced. Is it worth the money? Subjective.
Cameras, golf clubs, stereo components, cars, tools, they have one thing in common. As the price goes up, the value starts to slide. Twice the price is not twice as good. Cars usually come it two or three levels of trim. As the price goes up, the value goes up but not as much. My choice is to buy the top level because I like all the goodies and I'm willing to pay for it. Maybe you are not. We have choices.
Yes, most companies do make more profit, but you may be enjoying some of it., If you own stock, have a 401k, Mutual fund or IRA chances are you are part of the stock market and are benefiting from the company profit.
Unless you have actually used one and have done the comparison yourself, it just sounds like sour grapes to knock it or the price of it.
On 9/19/2015 7:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You knock me for stating a fact when you prove that fact by your statement of "as the price goes up, the value starts to slide". SO which is it, chip on my shoulder or, we'll call it, factual observation?
You are correct, you want to pay top dollar, that's your choice. I have paid top dollar for many products throughout the years. Some have impressed me, many have not. I have accomplished many tasks using a lower cost item (Harbor Freight debate comes to mind) for both hobby and profession with no complaints. You want to call it a chip even with your contradiction, so be it. I call it reality, because that's really what it is.
On 9/19/2015 9:18 PM, Meanie wrote:

I didn't say it was overrated and a money grabbing device to make a CEO wealthier. That is the chip.

No contradiction. My statement was the value/price equation, not the negativity of a money grabbing overrated tool. It performs well, as advertised. I buy if it has value to me and not a consideration of the salary of the CEO
On 9/19/2015 9:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't base my buying decision on the overpaid salary of CEOs, otherwise I'd do all my shopping at HF, it's just a fact to point out when a tool brand is twice as much as it's competition which do the job just as well, if not better.

You obviously don't know the history of HF. ;-)
On 9/19/2015 4:13 PM, Meanie wrote:

Absolutely, same can be said about those that do it with out Ryobi, Porter Cable, Fein, Bosch, and or any other brand that might be priced above their comfort level or need.
But the unique difference between a hobbyist and a pro is the ability to make a profit. Business being, "managed properly", the better value tools, often more expensive, are the better choices.

That same difference works both ways. A hobbyist doesn't have to justify his expense on profit. "I want" stands on its own. My justification for buying the "best" is that it only hurts once. In the past, I've upgraded the same tool a number of times. That's not going to happen anymore.
On 9/19/2015 5:13 PM, Meanie wrote:

blasphemy!!! Infidel!!! Also interesting is much of the greatest woodworking was done not just before Festool, but before electricity. I look at it like photography. You can have a $30,000 camera and gear and take crap pictures, and a pocket camera and take great pictures. Wood work is similar, in that it's the design more than the process. If you have good design, building the thing matters not if it's festool, HF or anything in between.

CEO's want money, nothing wrong with that, it's what keeps Festool, Harbor Freight and everyone in between working.
>I'm sure their tools have some advantages, but they aren't the Holy >Grail of the woodworking industry, IMO.
I agree 100% with this.
HF's stick is cheap, Festools stick is expensive. Normally, the best bang for the buck is somewhere in between. Is there a difference between a $100 ridged shop vac and a $700 Festool shop vac? I would hope so, but do you really need those things?. If you are a contractor with lots of people using your tools, you don't want to take out a loan every time a drill or saw gets legs, or dropped 10 stories onto a side walk. You also don't want something that breaks every few hours of abuse, so you buy good quality at a reasonable price.
--
Jack

Wow Jack, I do believe I finally agree with the above comments that you made.
On 9/25/2015 2:25 AM, Leon wrote:

I suspect you agree with almost everything I say, you just don't like how I say it:-)
--
Jack
On 9/25/2015 10:58 AM, Jack wrote:

Probably so Jack. ;~)
says...

I'm already on McFeely's mailing list--no skin off my butt to get more junk mail from them the odd chance of getting swag.
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 07:02:58 -0400

be careful calling it swag here

Me too, one less that will need to hear the reason why. :-)

Probably not, no tool manufacturer makes the best of everything.

Maybe only if they join a discussion on why a particular tool is better

Hopefully not, as they probably are not qualified to offer an opinion on the mechanics wear and tear.

I will if I win, but then I would have to enter and I don't want even more junk mail.

You probably hit the nail on the head with the new manually operated but superior Festool hammer.
On 9/20/2015 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:

Can we get a review of that hammer? List price? Where does it get the power from?
It takes a revolutionary manufacturer like Festool to come out with a tool that can be operated with no electricity or compressed air. Amazing technology.
On 9/20/2015 10:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

;~) I was hoping some one would catch that.
On 9/20/2015 8:49 AM, Leon wrote:

Like that Festool tape measure, the classic solution looking for a problem, that has never measured a board, after the first one.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

i just want to know if the vac is quiet