Festool sander, deal with Leon?

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to Leon for $49 8^)

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Leon might have to wait a while to partake of your offer...

"Due to overwhelming demand, Festool has asked all dealers to suspend taking orders for the PRO 5 until further notice. Please subscribe to our newsletter to be informed of updates, including when the PRO 5 sander will be available for order again."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

orders for the PRO 5 until further notice. Please subscribe to our newsletter

to be informed of updates, including when the PRO 5 sander will be available for order again."

Yeah, I had heard of this offer earlier this week and jumped in. Won't ship until November, but maybe Leon will accept $48? (or because it is a "limited edition voucher", the price could be higher 8^)

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I got an e-mail indicating limited quantities while quantities last and available Nov 1 through Woodcraft.

I would imagine that there will be a limited quantity at this price.

Reply to
Leon

Brewster wrote in news:ntau2f$9tn$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

I want one!

That voucher might be another degree of tilt towards the Domino. I've got a Kreg jig I can use in some similar situations, but never really took to it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I didn't see anything on the Woodcraft website, so I don't know if it's an in store only thing. Our closest Woodcraft is 2 hours away.

PUckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Thankfully, I don't hafta hold my breath. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I could not find the sander on the Festoolusa.com site either. The Woodcraft info was on an e-mail.

Reply to
Leon

That's an outstanding price on an outstanding sander. It says "Out of Stock" but Highland has them, complete with free shipping.

Reply to
krw

Oh, and they indicate that you can use this offer to get the 10% discount on vacs, too.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

With the 10% discount on vacs and the $50 coupon, the sander is almost free. (In some cases, it will be free.) I wonder what the actual T&C's are on coupon are. Looks like it's got to be used between Nov 1 and Dec

31, which means you've got to be serious about buying another Festool Tool soon. I wonder if some of the more accessory type items are considered tools?

Does anyone have the Kapex CMS? Is it worth the $1475? Wow, I thought it was closer to $1000... I'll probably get a LOT more bang for the buck with another brand!

The smallest vac, the CT SYS HEPA vac does sure look like it'll be light enough to move around fairly easily. When I use my RO125 at the club, I have to bring my Fein along and that's not fun.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The vac would be a nice 'accessory' to use the $50 for, hmmmm...

I believe the voucher is only good for power tools, expires 12/2017 so plenty of time to ponder.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

On 10/09/2016 9:43 AM, Brewster wrote: ...

The Woodcraft disclaimer says:

"* The rebate coupon is valid until December 31, 2016 and can be used on any future purchase of a Festool tool, except for the PRO 5 LTD. Rebates cannot be combined."

Reply to
dpb

I think there was a tread on FOG saying that they were having a lot of problems with them and that Festool wasn't standing behind the product. You might take a look. They were in the $1100 range but that was several across-the-board price increases ago.

Even the big ones are easy to move. The rear handle makes it sorta like a hand truck. The wheels are big enough that it has no trouble going up and down stairs, for example. They aren't heavy, anyway.

Reply to
krw

On 10/08/2016 8:58 AM, Brewster wrote: ...

That's the ploy of "the more you buy, the more you save!" unless you're buying something else anyways...The Woodland "special deal" w/ one of the dust collectors doesn't let you out of the store for under about $550 total...

The sander at the price isn't a bad deal with the accessories included; presuming it lives up to the reputation of its predecessors.

Didn't see it specifically on the Woodcraft page; I presume it's hook'n loop; is there a PAS pad available? The cost differential for papers the way I use one is more than I care to pay for long-term so I use PS papers 90+% of time w/ just the occasional H&L when changing more often...

Reply to
dpb

Itwas closer 1200 then 1400. Every couple of years you get an email that says get them b4 we raise the price. Then they really raise them. Not by a little.

Reply to
woodchucker

Of course if you don't want a vac, buying one at 10% off doesn't make a lot of sense. $100 for the sander, alone, is a good deal. If you can use the $50 coupon for another tool, even better.

I assume... ;-)

At least the prior model is. It would be strange if they went away from it at this point. After using them, I'm sold on H&L *and* Festool paper.

Reply to
krw

On 10/9/2016 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote: Snip

I have observed some Festool prices come down after a so called price increase. Most prices go up, some actually come down, typically table parts and other accessories.

Reply to
Leon

A very good price, the one that most like, the ETS 125, is a bit lower wattage is very close to $200.00. Oddly, same voltage, same amp, but different wattage.

And I almost bought the ETS 125 a couple of months ago. I opted for the more expensive ETS EC Brushless 125/3 after compairing and using both side by side. It is a much more powerful finish sander that has a lower center of gravity. Read that as easier to handle at different angles.

A word about hook and loop, BTW I believe all Festool sanders employ some type of hook and loop. I used to use PSA paper on Porter Cable sanders. I could not see the advantage of H&L just for the ability to remove a grit and replace later. I very often went through numerous pieces of the same grit before ever considering changing to a different grit. And I used either PC paper or 3M so I was buying a good quality paper.

Then about 8 years ago I replaced my right angle PC ROS with the Festool Rotex 5" sander.

Things I noticed immediately were that this paper is far superior to what I had been using. With the CT22 Festool vac, or any vac, the paper very seldom loaded up. With that issue out of the way the paper stays cooler and lasts longer.

I started using the Rubin Festool papers and was very happy. I felt that the Rubin papers were lasting at least 50% longer than any of the PC or 3M brands of paper. So that effectively made the Festool paper less experience than it looked from an inexperienced point of view.

Later I found the Festool Crystal paper and it was shockingly long lived. It could sand through glue and never load the paper. I will say that it was not quite as tough as the Rubin papers but if you were careful It would last at least 2 times longer than the Rubin paper with regular sanding and 3~4 times longer when sanding glue squeeze out off of fresh glued joints.

And in the past year I have discovered the Granat paper, light blue in color. This paper is phenomenal. It is about 90% as tough and resistant to tear as the Rubin paper and in all seriousness it lasts 4~10 times longer than the same grit Rubin.

I used one disk of the Granat 120 grit on "two" large projects. I used it to sand the glue on all joints and I used to actually remove the stain finish on one of the pieces that I was not happy with. That was between 24 and 36 hours of applying the stain. No loading what so ever from the glue or the stain. And the paper just seems to never quit cutting.

I tried a 10 pack of the Granat 120 grit in the beginning, I bought that early last year. I am just about ready to run out and replace with a 50 pack..., there are 1 or 2 disks left from the 10 pack.

Last, with all of these papers it is difficult to look at the paper to see if it is worn out. With a vac the paper remains clean. You have to physically feel the grit to determine if it is still sharp. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the chimney today. They do exist. ;-)

Reply to
krw