Festool power tools.

Page 7 of 12
On 2/5/2012 2:37 PM, Stuart wrote:

Understand, and it is ... I noticed the time difference. FWIW, I hereby apologize to you for any snarkiness on my part. I was in the same boat myself.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

HEY! You should be apologizing to the rest of us for talking about all this sound stuff that very few of us understand.
I'd ask for an apology from the political pundits here but it could result in my being inundated with political rhetoric.

Apologies accepted, please also accept mine.
We are crazy I know but my eldest daughter and I had done a 16 mile walk along the canal in temperatures around freezing and it had snowed the last 8 miles.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
In article

Dudley Port railway station to Birmingham.
Part Birmingham "New Mainline" to Pudding Green junction, part Walsall canal to Doe Bank junction, Tame valley canal via Rushall junction as far as Salford junction then down the Grand Union to Aston Junction. From there we walked to the Wetherspoons in the city centre. We'd already completed the Birmingham "New Mainline" in it's entirety and the "Aston ring". It was a way of walking the Tame Valley canal that allowed us to use public transport.
We've already walked a lot of canals in the area but have a few still to do.
Next month we walk from Wolverhampton to Walsall and the April walk is from Walsall, up via the Wyrley and Essington to Catshill junction, then south through Rushall to the Tame valley canal, terminating the walk at Tame Valley Parkway rail station - estimated at 18 miles.
I assume you know the canal network round the Midlands fairly well?
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

Sounds good, although I think 18 miles in a day would be beyond me!

No, I don't know the Midlands well at all, I just like canals. I live between the Bridgewater and the Manchester Ship Canal. I like the history and the engineering of them - fascinating stuff. I also live near (enough) to Sankey Brook Nav and Stephenson's lovely old bridge!
In article

When Rachel (my eldest daughter) and I were sitting in Wetherspoon's with a pint each of "Thatchers Gold" (cider), feeling absolutely cream-crackerd, I said "Do you reckon we can manage this 20 miler?" (walks are always actually longer than map estimate but I have a Garmin e-trex legend HCx that gives actual milage and speed afterwards, so I tend to round stuff up). The reply was "We'll see how it goes".
On the other hand, we've already done 17 miles twice (in rather better weather). It's just a matter of working up to it. Canals do have the advantage of being virtually flat <g>
We started this two or three years ago when Rachel decided she wanted to do a sponsored walk to raise some money for a charity - http://www.mercyships.org.uk/what-we-do
She roped me in as her companion and was originally proposing to walk from Oxford to Coventry (80 miles) over four days but after a few "training walks" it quickly became apparent that it was not practical, so we did Oxford to Leamington-spa instead (60 miles)
The first walk we did was from Coventry canal basin out to Hawkesbury junction (Sutton Stop), about 5 miles. After a brief sojourn in "The Greyhound" we decided to walk back to her house (about 4 miles), instead of taking a bus. By the time we got there, after a total of 9 miles, I had to plead with her to drive me home because I felt incapable of walking as far as the bus stop!
I forget now the actual figure we raised but we decided to continue our walks as a means of keeping fit and spending time together.

The "Birmingham Canal Navigation" comprises over 100 miles of canals and we hope to cover most of them. Details can be found on Waterscape.com but you probably know that.
Salford junction on the canal system lies slap-bang underneath "Spaghetti junction", J6 on the M6 motorway, and seen from canal level that is a pretty amazing piece of enginnering too. Only from there, as you walk along underneath it, do you appreciate the multi-level complexity of it all - with a railway running through the middle of it too!
If you ever get the chance to get down to Birmingham and have the time, you really need to walk "The Aston Ring" (about 5.5 miles) and when you get to Salford junction walk a liitle way along the Tame valley canal westwards and the Grand union Eastwards
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

Yeah, I get like that after half a mile or so! No, just kidding, but I do find that walking for anything over two miles does something to me where I need to lie down and have a good stretch. Weird.

I knew that Birmingham had an extensive network, but not that much. I don't really know much about canals at all really, just the engineering and what-not. Thanks for the website address, I'll have a look at that. I am still impressed that the Bridgewater canal has no locks! (well, you know, other than connections - the canal itself is level)
In article

Coming up to:
www.northernmodellingexhibition.co.uk
on Friday at Event city. I note that the Bridgewater canal is immediately behind the venue and about 5mins walk from the Barton swing aqueduct. Do you know if it is possible to access the towpath from Event city?
I want to take a look at the aqueduct.
For those of you across the pond who don't know what I'm talking about
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/bridgewater/bartonaqueduct.htm
--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail

Hmm, I honestly couldn't tell you, but there will be plenty of places closer to the aqueduct to get a look. If I had to go out on a limb, I'd say that the car parks and whatnot where Event City is are probably fenced in, but I'll have a quick shufti if I'm over there this week.
In article

Looking at Google Earth I think you're probably right, unfortunately the "Streetview" cameras seem to have missed quite a lot. . It's odd really, my wife and I went to a pub for lunch today and, checking it out on "Streetview" before we went, it would appear they drove straight into and round the car-park at the back of the pub!
There's a road (Ashburton Road West) which crosses the canal and there is clear access to the towpath from it. There also appears to be a path from the road swing-bridge to the towpath by the aqueduct so no need to go to any trouble, I'll sus it out when I get there.
It's a waste really. The Merry Hill shopping centre near Dudley has the canal skirting one edge and they've made a feature of it. Landscaped it, put in moorings (I think they want the boaters to go shopping there) built a waterside pub, hotel and cafes along the waterfront. It's quite attractive really. Streetview seems to have covered it quite comprehensively and there seem to be quite a few photographs uploaded to Google earth by visitors.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

Oh yeah, there's certainly no restrictions to you actually getting to it, just not sure about the car park at Even City! But you might find Ashburton RW to be a bit busy - it's a feeder to the industrial units there - I'd be a bit worried about leaving my car around there - lorries need to get things done, you know?! I'd have a quick squizz down Chapel Place, which is right next to the aqueduct. I am pretty certain I have parked down there before.

I know what you mean, but if I remember correctly, Peel Holdings had some plan to make the area around there into a river stop with a service going up the ship canal to the city centre (It could have been on the Bridgewater, but that would seem a bit slow to me). Don't know what happened to that idea though. Would be nice to see it come to fruition, and it would certainly have the chance to compete with the trams to the New Media City complex - I don't know if there is the same speed limit on the MSC as the Bridgewater. I would hope not! I'm not sure what they'd do about the lock at the Quays though - I'd think they'd take up a fair bit of time, so maybe have two boats running on the two sections using the Quays as the hub?
In article

Plan is to leave the car where it is in the Event City car park and walk.

Well, I'm sure it would have a limit to reduce errosion of the banks but some little time googling has produced no results
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
In article

Turns out, as I had hoped, there was direct access to the tow-path, via some gates, from the Barton Square car park so I was able to walk straight along the canal.
I've put up some pictures here of the show and canal
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/stuartwinsor/Manchester_Show /
This is a straight dump from my camera memory card and I've not had time to edit/sort/label the pics.
For some odd reason Photobucket insists on showing everything in reverse order, so top LH corner of page 1 is IMGP0751.jpg, the last picture I took and IMGP0668.jpg, at the RH bottom of page 4, the first. It was late when I got back, I stuck the memory card in the computer, hit CTRL-A, upload, and went to bed.
I spent a couple of hours in the show first, then met the rest of the family for a sandwich and coffee. Afterwards we walked along the tow-path to the bridge and then back into the show for the remaining time.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 20:14:29 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

Nice pics, both the show and canal. Thanks for posting them.

Good to know. So was the aqueduct all you'd dreamt of?! :-)

Looks like it was an OK show then. I nearly went to it myself, but transport fell through at the last minute, as is the nature of this sort of thing!
I've got an interest in model boats, cars and trains. Planes worry me for some reason!

Is that pronounced, "umble"? ;-)
Max

Give that man 30 Days In The Hole!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXjm8pZMws

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 19:40:04 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

Having worked at Shure Brothers in R&D, I can assure you that the published curves are cut off and do not show full range of response of a microphone, just the human hearing range is referenced. 20hz to 20khz is where you make the mic flat as possible.

Of course, its the only frequency range that matters unless you are building mics for special purposes. Looking at curves, however, can give an indication of "where things are going" and if the response has started to fall by 20k its a pretty good sign that it's going to keep heading in that direction. The only design effort put in outside that range is to ensure that "funnies" at higher frequencise don't have any effect within the audio band.
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On 2/5/2012 3:15 AM, Stuart wrote:

LOL. We now have another new audio engineering term ... "funnies"?
Don't look now, but you just clearly stated that your "funnies" at higher frequencies", do indeed have an effect "within the audio band".
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010