Festool power tools.

You're thinking of "skin effect"

Only becomes noticeable at /high/ frequencies. There is a formula but not suitable for a plain-test news post.

With 13A copper mains cable at frequencies below 13kHz the skin depth is greater than the cable radius. At 20kHz the skin depth is 0.47mm and the conductor radius radius is 0.6. The conductor resistance increase from

152mOhm to 160mOhm per meter which will have no appreciable consequences.
Reply to
Stuart

Last, first...

But then it is there, but it's generated past the wire in the air and that can, indeed, be measured.

For the point of what matters regarding the wiring, it _is_ exactly equatable. If, given the same inputs, there is no attenuation or amplification or distortion in the wire that is discernible, then the output will be indiscernible audibly if that input is converted to sound by the same speaker.

Whatever is generated owing to distortion, harmonics, etc., etc., in the speaker and the environment is there, certainly, but it had nothing to do w/ the two wires over which the output of the amplifier was transmitted to the speaker.

--

Reply to
dpb

And those people are the ones that may have been looking for a long time and it would cost more in time and money to continue to search for a better price. But just because it is higher priced does not mean it is not worth every penny that you pay for it.

If an item is expensive and sells well enough that it continues to sell at an expensive price then it is not over priced. Obviously people see the value in the product that may be beyond what your particular needs are.

So for you maybe Festool is too expensive you don't require the better of the products offered. For me I produce more and at a faster pace and make more money using the Festool products.

And if you think it is a situation where some one buys a Festool tool, has buyers remorse, and will say that it was not worth the price then certainly they should be returning the product during the 30 day trial period. And because these tool are expensive it is rare that anyone buys a whole pile of Festool at one time like the so many cordless tool kits that are offered by Ryobi, Craftsman, DeWalt, Skil, etc. So if they were did not see the value in the product they probably would not be buying additional Festool pieces. It is not uncommon at all for a Festool owner to have several pieces over a few years. I personally have 6 different Festool power tools that I have bought over the past

4~5 years and it took me that long to collect them and I have bought no other brand if Festool offered the same product. Not saying I would not but in every case the value was there for me. Top that off that I will be the first to say that I do not believe in brand loyalty but with Festool all of their power tools seem to be of equal quality and versatility which is very rare. Most all tool manufacturers have a darn good bread and butter product that brings in the sales and then most the rest of their product line may be run of the mill.
Reply to
Leon

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
Leon

They actually prefer the phase shifts and other effects introduced by the RIAA equalisers?

Reply to
Stuart

Or the microphone!

Even Neuman only quote a 20kHz upper limit on their M149 which, at three grand (pounds) is probably the microphone equivalent of Festool.

Saw a chart in a book once which showed the frequency ranges of various instruments, microphones, amplifiers, speakers etc. The limiting factor was the microphone and if the microphone doesn't pick it up you aint gonna hear it unless it's generated elsewhere.

Reply to
Stuart

Nope ... what they prefer is the almost 50Khz frequency response of a well set up, professional analog tape deck.

There are NO RIAA equalizers in the process!

Reply to
Swingman

Where you err your assunmption in the above is that the spec'ed frequency range of a high quality mic is what is known as it's "flat" frequency response, usually quoted as between two numbers, say 20 Hz to to 20kHz.

... that does not mean that nothing outside that flat frequency response is not picked up, it just means that it will not be picked up at the same level as that sound within the flat response.

The "frequency response" of a mic, and its relative flatness at certain frequencies, is the main characteristic a knowledgeable audio engineer uses to determine mic choice for a particular sound, instrument or vocal.

Reply to
Swingman

Once again: It is fruitless, if not impossible, to compare the non-linear, physiological properties of human hearing to a instrument signal analyzer ... period, zero, zip, nada ... any comparison simply does not _scientifically_ equate.

If, given the same inputs, there is no attenuation or

"If these higher frequencies are not passed through any link of the audio chain (including the cable), the lack thereof will most definitely degrade what it was _intended to be reproduced_ for your hearing enjoyment."

Not at all difficult to comprehend.

Reply to
Swingman

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 06:15:30 -0600, Leon

Actually, there is a measurable sound difference when you use the better cable. ===================================================== Bull.

Reply to
CW

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 11:59:02 -0600, Leon

Suggest it's grounded and he's not touching the drill when it starts up

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Leon

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 11:59:46 -0600, Leon

Is that what those lights are on my impact driver? *Real* LED's? Damn, now I *will* have to go out and buy the whole line.

I'm kind of short on cash right now, so I guess I'll have to sell my Domino and HL850. Just gotta have those LED DeWalts.

Reply to
Dave

What I would really like to know is if I use Monster Cables to operate my Festool TS75 will it sound better.

Max

Reply to
Max

Many years ago, Stereo magazine did blind testing between various brands of speaker wire and lamp cord. They used high end equipment and changed wires for the listener. No one could tell the difference.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It will ound sawsome!

Reply to
Bill

no, but it will cost more. Same as adding a monster cable to ANYthing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Have to completely disagree here but all the parameters need to be measured that affect human hearing. Usual distortion measurements are not enough.

One parameter that isn't usually discussed is the damping a good amplifier output provides to a set of speakers.

When a speaker is hit with an electrical thump (high frequency edge) it tends to resonate and reproduce it's natural frequency on ringing basis. This produced an induced voltage of very low magnitude. If a long or poor quality cable is used that isolates the absorption effect of a good, low impedance, amplifier output from the speaker the damping is lost and the sound gets muddy. This is equivalent of removing all the acoustic damping material out of the back of the speaker enclosure.

Once again: It is fruitless, if not impossible, to compare the non-linear, physiological properties of human hearing to a instrument signal analyzer ... period, zero, zip, nada ... any comparison simply does not _scientifically_ equate.

If, given the same inputs, there is no attenuation or

"If these higher frequencies are not passed through any link of the audio chain (including the cable), the lack thereof will most definitely degrade what it was _intended to be reproduced_ for your hearing enjoyment."

Not at all difficult to comprehend.

Reply to
m II

If so quite you can't hear it running is what you're looking for, yes ... it will be just the thing. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

A look at the curves shows all.

Reply to