Festool Europe

I'm moving overseas and have some Festool 110V 60hz tools to bring. They are much cheaper here in the US, so I thought I would stock up. I was looking at the 150 sander & asked the dealer if he could get the European model which would be 50hz. He said he couldn't & that Festool had told him their American tools would not work in Europe. Anyone any experience with this? I've brought other items over and used a transformer to step down the voltage from 220 to 110. I know the hz can cause issues such as the tool running about 17% slower (50hz/60hz), but not work at all? Doesn't sound right?

Reply to
Chris

Most small hand tools use a universal motor which makes them immune from frequency problems since the motor converts everything to DC; however is does not address the voltage difference and therein lies the problem.

If you add an isolation transformer rated for 50Hz service and run it in step down mode, problem solved.

A 2 KVA x'fmr will handle most small power tool applications that are

15A or less.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are voltage converters, they plug into the outlet and you plug your item into it. They were never cheap but GIs generally sold theirs as the headed back to the States. If it was designed to run at 60hz, it will run slower on 50hz, it's also going to run hotter.

Reply to
asmurff

Reply to
Chris