Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

Page 2 of 4

Hey!! I'm lucky to get away with the expense of the saw, never mind the vac. At some point in time............................
Max

Typically you can get better pricing on Festool tools when you buy a sander, saw, Domino etc along with one of the vac's. Because the saw will be on sale for 10% off tomorrow you would not likely get much better of a deal getting the vac now anyway. ;~)
Get vac when you buy a Rotex sander or the Domino. LOL.

I have several of these cutting guides in various lengths, they make one long enough to do a sheet of plywood the long way. They also have adapter plates for circular saws and routers that really lock the tool to the guide, although so far I've been able to keep such tools tight enough to the guide that I haven't needed the plates. Not as nice as the saw-guide systems, but somewhat less expensive.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
"DGDevin" wrote

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I think the dust collection feature will be the clincher. But thanks for that info.
Max
On 03/30/2010 07:05 PM, Max wrote:

I've used one of these for a long time:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pA707&cat=1,240,45313&ap=1
I have a dedicated circular saw with a 1/4 ply base plate and the "traveller" from that page. The "traveller" keeps it from moving away from the fence.
Handy for breaking down plywood, though not as fancy (or spendy) as the dedicated track saws. Makes a great straight edge for cutting drywall too. :)
Chris

What are you looking for exactly?
Do you simply want to cut straight lines? Renew what you have.
Would you like to get a saw that delivers a cut quality that might be better than your TS? Look to one of the new track saws.
I am partial to the Festool saw, they have had the idea in use since the 60's. The track guide pretty much stays where you put it with out clamps, but you can use clamps. The track sets up on the line you want to cut, there is no off set measurements needed. The track helps to prevent tear out on the top inner side of the cut. The saw has a replaceable piece that prevents tear out on the outer side of the cut. I have seen Swingman's saw work and it cuts oak plywood as good as what my cabinet saw does and I don't have to sand or clean up my cuts. The saw easily makes plunge cuts and stopped cuts.
Beginning April 1 through May 31 Festool is offering a 10% off sale on both of their Track saws and accessories for those saws. I'll probably be getting the TS55 saw.

Well, I *was* looking for a *straight* edge; something to guide my circular saw when cutting panel goods. Now that I've been shown the advantages, especially dust collection, of the "track" saws, I'm strongly inclined toward the purchase of one.

I'm leaning toward the TS75. In fact, I'm about to fall.
Max
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:18:25 -0600, the infamous "Max"

April Fools! , eh?

Gawd. I'm still using Dad's old Crapsman aluminum circ saw with HF carbide ($1.99 on sale) blades on it. Oh, I did buy a $24 aluminum cutting guide and am using $1.50 HF bar clamps on it.
The thought of plunkin' down $625 (Holy Shit, $1,079 with shop vac! Amazon price today) to replace that setup just chills me to the bone. Would I accept one in trade? You betcha. (Damn, my crowbars just burst into tears again. Gotta go.)
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing
On 3/31/2010 2:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

You're in the business, right? Section 179 expense ... let Uncle OBama pay for a good part of it.
Well designed, 'top of the line' tools of the trade save time, effort, and material, and improve the overall quality of your work ... and waste of any of those is wasted, and lost, money and opportunity.
Regarding the alternative edge guides and aluminum angle cobble-ups for circle saws ... I did that for 40 years, there is simply NO comparison with these guide rail/plunge saw systems.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

There is no doubt in my mind that it, together with the Festool table, could be the finest piece of woodworking machinery available... period.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:12:55 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Yeah, right. If the rest of the year shapes up anything like the first quarter has, I'll be in a position to look at Festeringtools for once. Egad, though, they just overprice the living SHIT out of 'em, though. It's like asking what's his butt if I could pay double for his safe saw. It just doesn't seem _moral_ to pay that much. </huff> (or right or sane)

That's true, but it only counts when you have too much work to do and too little time. If you're only working 1/4 of the time, it doesn't hurt anything, 'cept your leisure time.

My mind just copped an accent and it sounds like Aunt Bee. I can just make out is saying "That's nice dear. I'm sure the Festerer is quite nice little plunger. Now eat up all your breakfast before you go out to play."
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing
On 3/31/2010 11:22 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Au contraire ... the necessary shop equipment to make ALL the quality cuts that the Festool plunge saw/guide rail system is capable of would cost a minimum of $5k to $30k, PLUS you can take all those top quality cuts to the job site in one small package.
The truth of the matter, for the professional, is that Festool plunge saw is worth at least three times the current cost of the tool, with a dust extractor thrown in.
Anyone who contends otherwise simply does not fully grasp what this tool is capable of delivering, equally in the shop, or on site.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

So, you _like_ Festool, do ya, Swingy? I thought so.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
Snip

Seriousely, I use'ta think that way. Then I thought to myself, are you tired of fooling around with marginal tools? Tired of working in a dust cloud? Tired of listening to a LOUD shop vac?
I'm worth it.
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:26:33 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

Good attitude. Yeah, when I have to put on my resuscitator and muffs for a series of cuts, and still get chips in my eyes, I wonder why I'm doing all that.
I'd like to get out of the field and into making furniture in the shop, but I still can't see the floor in there...yet.
-- May those who love us, love us; And may those that don't love us, May God turn their hearts; And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, So we'll know them by their limping. --old Gaelic blessing

This is so true. Mainly working as an eletrician before I got hurt I bought the best tools I could. Even if it was something the employer was supposed to furnish I had my own so I didn't have to share it. Used to piss people off, but having my own tools paid off many times if nothing more then not wasting time and getting home earlier. Not to mention higher productivity translated to a higher wage. Now I'm looking at Festool for the saw and domino of solving some issues and opening some doors. At 60 I'm trying to minimize the things that aggavate me. LOL
Mike M

Two excellent starter choices but don't forget the Festool vac, a serious tool that is necessary with the Domino, or any shop vac. The Domino needs to have the chips cleared out and the vac does an excellent job. But the Festool vac is very quiet.
Then you are going to want to replace your sanders..... LOL

I figured I would get the Festool vac with which ever tool I bought first. I've eyeballed the sanders as well. That part of my operation is pretty dirty and hard to clean up. Hopefully I can take advantage of the 10% available this month. And the funny part is Obama will be paying for it. Since I got hurt at the beginning of 2009 I had very little income and my taxable income is $0. Workmens Comp isn't taxable. They are refunding not just what I paid in but more then twice that amount. I actually called the IRS hot line because I couldn't believe they were doing that. Should just about cover the saw and a vac. 8-)
Mike M

That sounds like an expensive way to get something for free. At least it's for something worthwhile. ;-)
I'll writing a check for $5-$6K on the 15th, so no Festools for me (though I am eyeing a 1400EQ). :-(