Festool and IWF

Page 6 of 6
On 8/26/2012 1:33 PM, Han wrote:

Ill take a look at the impact, but seriously, I thought for sure I would add it when it came out but that was before I actually used the T15 drill. After using the T15 for several jobs including driving a few hundred 3" torx deck screws I may not get one. The T15 is truly much stronger and has much more torque than the Makita that it replaced.
I am not sure about the router table, I don't have a Festool router yet and the table is probably designed for that particular router. My Bench dog router table and Triton router work very well together, for now. ;~)

<http://blog.festoolusa.com/post/2012/08/25/The-New-CMS-Router-Table - Coming-October-2012.aspx> orhttp://tinyurl.com/9j8f2um
It's a slippery slope ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/27/2012 10:07 AM, Han wrote:

I am going to try not to attempt to fix what ain't broke. :~)
So far all of my Festool purchases have been warranted. What qualifies as warranted is still up in the air. LOL

No economics for a hobbyist, but I like the Domino I have, and so does my daughter! The Rotex 95 may need a new pad, I think I destroyed some of the hooks that hold the paper to the pad.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/27/2012 12:15 PM, Han wrote:

LOL, Ok now I will never again admit this but I sanded with my Rotex thinking it had paper on it. It did not. No worse for wear.
The pads will poop out though, usually the whole hook side will separate from the foam part of the pad. You will for sure know when that happens. ;~)

I can remember years ago in a discussion on how we both loved our PC block sanders I think the 333 or something like that. No dust collection so always a mess. When I first got my Rotek sander I had to keep feeling the surface to be sure it was working. There wasn't any sawdust. Should have listened to you on the Rikon bandsaw. Unfortunately broke my foot on the day I got it so I still have it.
Mike M
On 8/28/2012 11:28 PM, Mike M wrote:

Those 333 PC sanders were great, they would make a pile of dust, quick! but man was there a lot of dust. ;~) I darn near broke my food the day I got my Rikon, the cast iron table fell on my foot.

tool and parts boxes without help so I could go pick the Rikon up. Tried to slide it down a 2x8 out of the pickup and the board slid too. Gravity was faster then me. That was a painful afternoon. Fortunetly it had a lifting eye and I had a boom truck at home. Got it in the shop and called it a day. That's a heavy table to drop on your foot you were lucky.
Mike M
'basilisk[_2_ Wrote: > ;2916596']Festool had a booth at the show and I was prepared to shell > out the bucks for a domino had they offered a show discount. > > When I ask the guy running the booth about show discounts, > his exact words were "You have to be kidding, I pay retail" > > basilisk > > > -- > A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse
Hello everyone, i am the one reffered to as the "Festool Guy " at the 2012 IWF show, just to clear a few things up, i was not working for festool or 'Tools for Working Wood: Welcome' (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com ) who actually paid for the booth, im a cabinet builder who was subcontracted out by toolsforworkingwood in effort to show how much they as a retailer care about you as a client that they are willing to shell out upwards of 10k to demo tools for you and answer most questions to the best of their ability, they have invested tons of time and effort into creating the conveniance of a mobile site but without loosing the personal touch of a family ran establishment, how many other retailers can you say the same for? With that being said all the tools you saw at my booth were tools that belong to me, minus a few sanders and the router table, i paid full retail price for these tools hence my statement...now as far as your comment about having a show special, festool just like any other company doesnt want to start giving discounts because they dont want to devalue their tool, they want you to base your decision of where to buy not by how much of a discount you can get but by how good the dealer is, their knowledge of the tools and their customer service... Try calling amazon and asking them if you can use a 1/4" collet in your 2200 router, their honest opinion about the surefix.... I have been to dealerships who have one employee that was sent to festool training who is a total burnout and cant even answer which sandpaper to use on bare wood. Now in my opinion when your spending 600 bucks on a dust extractor i would love to have someone tell me why its worth that 600, tell me its features and benefits and how it is intergradable with other festool products and even other brand tools... Rather than hearing here it is, on /off, 600$ so you want it? sales aspect aside, what about the aftermath? Yes all festools are built solid with the best of parts and most likely you will not need repairs or service but if something does go wrong festool is there and they always have been in my experiance, you call, they have answers, they will send you parts, the guy you speak on the phone with will most likely be the same guy that will be working on your machine. then we have the tool price it self, development, testing, marketing etc... Makita and dewalt ripped off festool tracksaw, would i buy either those brands? Absolutely not, for a few reasons, one they are still POS tools made in china with inferior parts. Once the prices go down so does everything else along with it, as a cabinet builder the only time i can drop my price is if i use cheaper materials because my labor will not change, so i most likely will thank you and walk away from the project because i refuse to put my hard work into an inferior end product, if you want to compete for jobs with the laborers that stand in front of big box stores you might as well stick to buying tools from those same stores as well. Regards Lucas
--
lucasP

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 16:21:40 +0000, lucasP

Thank you for the clarification.

You make a good point, but there is one thing that still bugs me. Not just Festool, but many others like them.
I agree that it takes a lot of overhead to properly stock, display, demonstrate, etc. and you deserve to make a fair profit. You must make profit to stay in business and serve customers in the future.
No one, IMO, has the right to tell you how much to sell your goods for. If the MSREP is $600, if you provide exceptional service maybe you can get $630. But if you want to sell it for $550, that is your business too.
Try calling amazon

And they expect me to pay that twit full retail price?

If I've done my research, perhaps that is all that is needed. To be fair, I won't take an hour of your time at the full price dealer and then go to the discounter to buy and save a few bucks. That is unethical, yet done every day. I don't know how to stop it.

Agree

Festool does ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 9/2/2012 4:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

FWIW I have never heard a Festool retailer complain about the fixed pricing structure. The never loose a sale to someone selling for less. It saves and protects them from spending time with you and loosing the sale to someone selling cheaper. That eventually degrades the brand. Few to none of the once great brands we all know has the quality reputation that Festool enjoys. No retailer wants to sell for less, that cuts into profits and means he will not offer you as much in service. The fixed pricing is good for the retailer and for you. The retailer makes his profit and you rest assured that the price you pay at your favorite dealer is the best price available.
And then when you actually buy the tool and use it the cost of the tool some how seems to be justified and you generally don't give it a second thought. This might be the reason that those that complain about the cost of Festool and don't actually use the product complain. They think that they are going to get the same product as the brand X tool which they paid significantly less for.
Leon wrote: The fixed pricing is good for the retailer and for you.
Hmmm... should you ever have to convince the customer of that?

If you ever need another job, you should always be able to find ample opportunities in sales! : )

That's true of just about everything we buy, I think. But, rationally, it shouldn't affect whether you buy or not. See my comment above.
On 9/2/2012 8:38 PM, Bill wrote:

No, just remind him of that.

Been there, done that, actually ran my own tire/retail store at 21.

Providing you live a charmed life. There was a PC detail sander I bought, a Free Bosch Impact driver, numerous B& D tools, Skil, the list goes on. I give all of those second and third thoughts.
Leon wrote:

Yes, I forgot about those exceptions. They can be annoying, especially when not much time has passed since the warranty period ran-out. That reminds me of a microwave oven that I carried in and left on the floor at Sears. They told me I couldn't leave it there, but I showed them they were wrong. I was disgusted.
I try to avoid learning why cheap tools are cheap. I'm not a fanatic though! Having used lesser, to me my DeWalt router is a fine tool! : )
On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 16:21:40 +0000, lucasP wrote:

Lucas.
I am the OP of this thread, I was not angered nor offended by your statement to me at IWF, nor were you rude, it was just odd that you were so blunt. OK, you're a cabinet maker and not a slick tool salesman. I have been known to be blunt myself.
No offense taken and I hope none given.
The main point was that Festool gives "no one" discounts.
I do understand the value of Festool products an there pricing structure, hence my asking about discounts, if I had happened up on the one time in history that an individual Festool product was discounted, I would have bought then in place of waiting.
I buy what I can justify, either from sheer desire or from actual need to produce, I can justify a domino on both counts.
By the way the domino xl is a helluva machine.
I noticed that you were posting from diybanter, why not get a real newsreader and join us.
basilisk