Festool and IWF

Page 4 of 6
says...

After the breakup, the AT&T phones I could find were crap--your tax dollars at work.
If you want a reliable phone these days the only way to get one is to buy a Western Electric off of ebay.
On 8/31/2012 1:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That's the party line. I suspect IBM pulled the plug when success was imminent. Everyone in the OS/2 community was ecstatic because OS/2, (with no help from IBM), just word of mouth from the PC community, finally had reached what most considered critical mass, at 1 million copies sold a month. IBM's response was not to start advertising, or do anything even a 10 year old lemon aide stand entrepreneur would know to do, but to yank it from the market. 2 + 2 = 7, always a reason to raise a jaundiced eye

PC's are hardware, OS is software. Hardware (PC's) developed rapidly, but because MS dominated the OS market, and used a number of illegal anti-trust tactics to maintain that domination, their OS even today has not reached the quality of 1995 OS/2 or UNIX. At the time I suspected the WIN monopoly would set back computing 25 years, looks like I was wrong, it already past that marker.
--
Jack

Clueless. In the early '90s, IBM was in deep trouble. Under Akers, they were borrowing to pay dividends for a decade and were within weeks of missing payroll. There simply wasn't the money to go after the consumer market.

Wow! Really, Capt. Obvious?

Since when does better = winner? Good grief.
On 9/5/2012 7:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Clueless. In the 90's IBM spent more money on R&D than MS made selling software. They spent tons on advertising as well, just not OS/2, and OS/2 was still growing in market share with no help from IBM.

I wasn't the one that said PC's were where phones were in the 50's when the subject was software, so the distinction needed made.

Since when does lousy = winner? Good grief.
When a lousy product dominates 90% of a huge market and makes 3 times the profit margin as say oil companies even the weakest mind in the barrel should recognize Houston, we have a problem. Free markets with modest anti-trust laws don't work that way for long.
--
Jack

You haven't the foggiest clue. IBM was next to bankruptcy. First layoffs in their history - massive. Remember Gerstner? No, you probably don't. You weren't there.

You probably don't know it, but people use software and don't give a shit about the hardware underneath.

The market decides. You (and I) lost. Get over it (I have).

You think M$ makes three times the margin as Apple? You're on drugs.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 17:56:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Right. It's the apps that sell everything else. In the end, that's what killed OS/2 and what's keeping Linux in the geek world (significant embedded, now, though).

I think it's a pretty good use of the hardware we now have. I can't imagine a command line Sketchup. ;-)

I can because I wrote some Ruby scripts for Sketchup! : ) Anything you can request be done using a mouse, you can do with text (using the Ruby programming language and the Sketchup API/Libraries). And you can achieve potentially more precision and it runs fast!

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
On 9/5/2012 7:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: n

Both OS/2 and UNIX can run non-command line apps more efficiently and more dependably than DOS/WIN. That's why WIN is garbage. Good grief.
--
Jack

Good grief! It's dead Jim.

Fat code and lazy programmers, causing the need to buy better (read newer hardware) it is a conspiracy.
;>
Jack wrote:

I don't think that's correct. To my knowledge, MS has never been found by a court to have used any "illegal" tactics (in the US). As far as industry dominance, no company, ever, has been found to be in violation of any anti-trust laws when the company grew into that position solely by internal means. Microsoft has never been found (by the DOJ) to have bought out competitors or other rascally behavior, so the DOJ has never brought an anti-trust action against the company.
Disclaimer: Just because I own a wheel-barrow load of Microsoft stock does not color the above post. No, not any.

Ah, the conspiracy theory.
Other systems are readily available, but people just don't seem to be flocking to them or demanding them. We have choices.
August 2011, Gartner estimated Apple's PC market share in US as 10.7% for ... global desktop market share of Windows 92.2%, Apple 6.36%, Linux 1.41%.
We all don't drive the same car either, but people freely make choices.
On 8/31/2012 11:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Anti-trust violations proved in court are not theory, but fact.

Yeah, glad you think so.

August 2012, Jack estimated Windows DT market share was 93%. Could it be Gartner is off by .08%?
Jack also estimated that based on how totally shitty MS products are, and that their profit margins exceed even the steenking rich oil companies profits by 3 times, that the good judge Stanley Sporkin was exactly right when he found MS guilty of massive anti-trust violations that resulted in the exact damage to world computing that Jack knew well from first hand experience before the good judge made his decision. Of course the victors of that decision, the DOJ appealed the victory, which happens all the time, well at least once in the history of law. You can bet it cost someone a LOT to appeal a victory.
That was in 1995. Nothing much changed except MS now donates tons of money to our wonderful politicians to insure anti-trust laws hold little weight when it comes to OS junk.

Yeah, what auto company makes 30% profit margin and controls 92.2% of the global market with a car that breaks down 1000's of times more frequently than any of it's competitors? I reckon GM is on it's way to that fortunate anti competitive position.
Are you ready for the American Tribant?
--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors =====> Government Motors!

Are you using Windows? If so, you must like it or you'd be using Apple products or Linux. Are you buying a tablet with the Android OS?

Steenking rich? Oh, I do own some of their stock and I approve of their profits.

If they can do it, good for them. Apple seems to be up there profit wise too. No one is forcing anyone to buy MS products. Millions of people must have the latest iPhone and Apple is loaded with cash, but they still complain about MS.

According to Jack-asses headers:
He's using Windows NT 6.1 which is essentially Windows 7. As usual Jack-ass is full of shit.

Funny isn't it? Jack-ass is big on the American way which is capitalism at its finest, but he refuses to grant the same right to Microsoft.
On 9/3/2012 9:02 PM, Dave wrote:

Idiot!
In the words of Dick Tracy, no shit! I am using Windows for the exact reasons anti-trust Judge Sporkin found MS guilty of violating US anti-trust laws way back in 1995. I was a UNIX administrator for years, ran DOS/WIN and OS/2 for years. I don't think WIN is a POS, I *know* WIN is a POS. I use it because it controls 93% of the market. It controls the market /not/ because it is good, but for all the reasons the good judge found MS in violation of US anti-trust laws.
It's the ENTIRE point of my posts on the subject. Idiot!

Well, MS didn't poor money into my pocket so I would look the other way when found guilty of violating US anti-trust laws that enabled them to dominate 93% of the market with a garbage OS. If they wish to drop some large cash in my pocket, I'll be happy to stop telling the truth about them.
--
Jack
Don't let your mind Wander, it's too small to be left out on it's own!
Jack wrote:

Judge Sporkin was overruled by the US Court of Appeals which said the Judge was way off-base in his ruling. The appellate court then barred Sporkin from any further contact with the case.

The judgement of which you speak was reversed, due, in part, to judicial misconduct. Specifically:
"Finally, we vacate the Final Judgment on remedies, because the trial judge engaged in impermissible ex parte contacts by holding secret interviews with members of the media and made numerous offensive comments about Microsoft officials in public statements outside of the courtroom, giving rise to an appearance of partiality. ... we hold that the actions of the trial judge seriously tainted the proceedings before the District Court and called into question the integrity of the judicial process. We are therefore constrained to vacate the Final Judgment on remedies, remand the case for reconsideration of the remedial order, and require that the case be assigned to a different trial judge on remand... We vacate in full the Final Judgment embodying the remedial order and remand the case to a different trial judge for further proceedings consistent with this opinion." http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/legal/06-28opinion.mspx
Quit wishing for fishes.
On 9/7/2012 7:18 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Large amounts of money can get crooked people to do all sorts of things, like the above. The real truth is this:
Sporkin's most controversial decision came in 1995 in one of the most widely followed antitrust cases of the decade. Following a four-year investigation, the Department of Justice had entered an agreement with computer software giant Microsoft, Inc., to reform licensing practices that the department said were monopolistic. Under provisions in the Tunney Act (15 U.S.C.A. 16(e) [1988]), Sporkin had the authority to review the consent decree to determine if it was in the public interest. In addition to criticizing Microsoft during the hearings, he took the rare step of allowing its competitors to file friend-of-the-court (amicus curiae) briefs anonymously so as to protect them from retaliation by Microsoft. Ultimately, Sporkin rejected the consent decree as being insufficient and ordered the Justice Department to expand its investigation. (United States v. Microsoft Corp., 159 F.R.D. 318 [D.D.C. 1995]).
In a surprising move, both the Justice Department and Microsoft filed separate appeals.
[/surprising that a victor appeals victory/]
Not only did both parties win, but Sporkin was removed from the case by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit for apparent bias; the court then remanded the case to another judge with orders to approve the consent decree (United States v. Microsoft Corp., 56 F.3d 1448 [D.C. Cir. 1995]).
[/consider the good judge heard 4 years of testimony before becoming "biased". Consider MS did not contribute to any political campaigns before this, but did after this. Funny how that works/]
In addition to his uncompromising work as a lawyer and judge, Sporkin has distinguished himself as a legal critic. He has written on the need for separate codes of ethical conduct for various disciplines within the law, urged the adoption of multimedia presentations of evidence in courtrooms, and argued against what he sees as unfairness in the federal sentencing guidelines for drug offenses.

Quit ignoring glaring effects of illegal marketing, monopolies and graft.
--
Jack
Jack wrote:

There have been no findings of illegal marketing, monopolistic practices, or graft with regard to Microsoft in the US.
It's apparent you: a) Don't like Microsoft (that's okay, a lot of people don't) b) Are convinced Microsoft is evil, and c) When the legal system moves contrary to your view, you invent convoluted reasons for these legal decisions.
Carl Jung, the 19th century Swiss psychologist, theorized that when the human brain is confronted by circumstances it cannot understand or accept, it will create an alternate explanation to fit the facts, no matter how bizarre the alternate explanation might be.
You are wishing for fishes.