Festool

Page 1 of 4
I got a look as some of their tools today. While they do seem quality tools and have some nice features I don't see anything that to me justifies the cost. Can anyone with experience with the tools tell me why they cost 2-4X what a good quality tool cost?
ron
Hello Ron, My only experience in comparing tools was the Festool sanders (Rotex and Delta shape oscilating sanders) to some other brands that I've owned or demo'd. I was impressed with the little amount of dust the Festool left behind and the minimal vibration I encountered. The sanders felt very stabile and the finish they left was better than I was ever able to obtain in my prior attempts at sanding. I'm sure there is a lot of subjectivity in my opinion but I used to hate the sanding part of my woodworking projects and now I enjoy hooking up my two festool sanders to their vacuum and spending an evening sanding.
Altough I also bought a Domino, I never had any experience with a biscuit type joiner but the Domino made it all look so easy (and it is!) and I'm pleased with the my purchase.
Do I think they are worth 2 to 4 times the cost of other tools? "Yes", if you can afford it and "Yes", if it makes you feel better using it. Or "No", if you think you can do just as well with a modestly priced tool. Marc

"r payne" wrote:

They are German.
Much as that sounds strictly like a smart ass comment, it is designed to convey a message.
In our everyday life, we represent some German companies selling their products here in the US.
Almost always, they are higher priced than their competitors.
Getting that first order is often a challenge.
However, once a customer uses a product, recognises the engineering content, the cost becomes much less of an issue.
I have not used any Festool products, but the above probably applies.
That said, you have to make the decision whether they are a worthwill investment for your application.
Have fun.
Lew

Just got some, but no time yet to do much. The engineering is obvious, from the get-go. Results? Later for that, but I expect nothing marginal and much excellence. We shall see.

Charlie, what tool/tools in particular did you get?
Please quit talking about the virtues of Festool as I am extra poor this year.
cm

I have recently learned to appreciate the ability to let my imagination become my reality on items that I cannot afford. It helps in knowing that if I study the item to death and learn all of its details that it only costs me my time. The plus side to not actually making the purchase is that I can imagine making another purchase immediately. LOL In our spare time my wife and I enjoy looking at homes that uh... are way out of our league. We can imagine what it would be like to own such a home but when the reality sets in from the point of view of payments, taxes, insurance, etc we can imagine another home with out having to sell. ;~)
My late wife and I use to do the house thing also during the annual Parade of Homes and pick a Saturday and go and look at nothing but 1,000,000 dollar homes and in New Mexico that is one hell of a home. I also spend way to much time researching and admiring tools I may never be able to buy. Festool got my attention on the decibel rating of the vac alone and as soon as I find a way to sell one of the grandkids a Domino and that will adorn my poor old shop.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

Lessee. I can't get to the vac at the moment, but there's a PSB 300EQ+ jigsaw, an ETS 150/3 EQ+ ROS, and a TS 55 EQ+ circular saw.

Ok, that really sucks! ;~) No Domino???? LOL If you don't mind me asking, is this group of tools for a review? I would really be interested in your thoughts on the Circle Saw when ever you get around to it. Of course if you are doing this as a review and for hire/pay I would be interested in knowing the publication the review would be appearing in. Enjoy the tools.
With all this Festool talk I started looking at the sanders, I have a TS75, Domino & ct32. I agree worth it if you can afford it, very happy, but on the sanders there is an awful lot of sandpaper to choose from. For woodworking which ones do you use?

Yes there are a lot of sand papers to choose from. Keep in mind that Festool builds these sanders to be used in other professions also. Auto body, renovation, painting, solid surfaces, etc. Each of those types of work require different typed of abrasives. Fortunately, for regular wood working, sanding on bare wood, you can simply choose the Rubin sand paper in the grits of your choice. Rubin paper starts at 24 and goes through 180 grit. If you need a finer grit you can use the Brilliant in grits 220 through 400.
99.99% of the time I stop at 180 grit so the Rubin paper is all I need. I initially purchased 120, 150, and 180. As effective as the Rotex sander is I will probably seldom use the 120 grit. In the aggressive mode the 150 in pretty darn fast. With the smaller less aggressive ROS sanders the 120 or lower may be a better choice to start out with.
Hey Leon, My paper selection is 80, 120, 240 and 320 and I stop at 240 for most of my projects but for some I will go to 320 (with either sander; Rotex RO 150 E+ or the DTS 400). I thought about bridging the gap between 120 and 240 but I don't really see the need. I also bought a small pack of 400 but this is so rarely used on wood. My other hobby is windsurfing and I have a few boards to repair from last season (epoxy outer skin over carbon fiber) so I plan to try out my sanders on them when it gets time to make the repairs. The 400 will get used at that time. Marc

I have only seldom used 80 and for the life of me I cannot remember why I bought that pack. It was for the old PC right angle ROS. I do recall that it works great for setting down on a 3M Scotch Brite pad to buff my TS top. ;~) The first time I used my Rotex I was sanding 1.5" wide Poplar edging attached to 3/4" thick MDF. The Poplar was a bit thicker than the MDF but the Poplar sanded down even with the MDF almost instantly using 180 grit.
"marc rosen" wrote in message

Interesting ... Must be something to do with the Rotex because I've never been able to get away with that big a gap when 'running through the grits'?
I've seen Leon's Rotex in action, was suitably envious, but it's sinfully rich for my poor boy blood ... at least until I get this last kid out of college, which could mean that I'll have to go back to hand sanding through all the grits:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

What is a FEQ 150 sander? I did not see it on the Festool web site.
The soft pad is good for most all general sanding. The hard pad would be good/better for sanding narrow surfaces that are considerably smaller than the pad itself such as the edge of a board or sanding past the edge of a flat surface. The harder pad helps to prevent rounding the edges.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/571594/Festool-Rotex-150-FEQ-Dual-Mode-Sander

I have their CT 22 vacuum, the Domino, and the 125 Rotex sander. Why pay more? Test drive one.
For me the vacuum is, most of all, QUIET. ;~) It mates with almost every Festool tool flawlessly and rolls around beautifully. The Domino is, well a one of a kind tool. The Domino was initially why I bought a Festool tool. the vacuum was pretty much necessary and I did not want to listen to the typical shop vac any more. Robatoy has always tooted his whistle about his Rotex sanders and I was ready to retire my dust spewing 18 year old PC right angle ROS. The Rotex runs circles around the PC and sucks up 99% of all the dust with the vac.
Put your hands on one and demo the tool and you should see why the price is higher. 3 year warranty, 30 day money back guarantee IIRC. Cases that are stackable and latch on to each other. Detachable power cords that can be left with the vac and used on other Festool tools. Oddly, I have come to like the Festool pricing policy. Your local dealer will be the cheapest place to buy the tool because every one has to sell the tool for the price that Festool suggests. I cannot say that I have ever heard of anyone bitching about a Festool tool. I will add that I find the Festool sand paper to not be far out of line with the competition. For the Rubin 5" H&L disks you pay $19.50 for 50 disks. Dust extraction is so good that the disk lasts longer and so far they do not get clogged up. You have to rely on seeing progress slow down to know when to change out the paper. The paper typically looks brand new after use.
If money is tight or you are going to be an occasional user the Festool may not be right for you. If money is not an issue rest assured that you will enjoy the experience of owning and using one. With the 30 day money back guarantee you have little to risk.
BTY the less expensive ETS125 ROS sander can be held in place and guided with a very light tough of your finger centered on the top. $165.00. If you buy a vac at the same time most all tools offer a discount on the combo.
......and to follow up on what Leon said about the vacuum, I also use it in conjunction with my Porter Cable 7&1/4 circular saw , my Makita 10 inch CMS and my Leigh dovetail jig dust collector system. (Brand names mentioned to let you know that the vac hooks up easily to a lot of different tools- no bragging attempted.) Unlike my older shop vacs the remote start and small diameter hose are a perfect combo with these two non-Festool tools. Plus, the clean up is so easy too. The bags come with their own closure and you can really fill them up before there is any noticeable loss of performance. And did I mention in a previous post that my wife loves vaccuming the house with the CT-22? I may have to buy another one, damnit! (No smiley face icon but you get my drift.) Marc (who has no affiliation with Festool, its dealers, or Tyra Banks but would enjoy any preferential dealings from any of them in the future.)