Ferro-Pak Rust Inhibitor Paper

I received 10 sheets of Ferro-Pak rust inhibiting paper for my birthday (boring gift for boring guy). Can anyone tell me what the useful life of this paper is (and whether it REALLY works)?
Thanks
Hermie
"John M. Crossett" wrote ...

Lie-Nielsen uses the same stuff to wrap planes and stuff before packaging. It seems to work for them. I save it and re-use it but I haven't had a rampant rust problem so I can't provide substantive proof of its efficacy.
I do trust Lie-Nielsen, however, as they have always been good to me.
--
Best regards,

Howard

Years and years. But you have to store and use it correctly.
The paper has a lifetime measured in "work", not "time". There's a finite amount of outgassing it can do, then it's worn out. If this is slow, then it lasts for decades. If it's exposed to the atmosphere in the summer sun, then it might be worn out in a few months.
Store it in a sealed wrapper and keep it cool.
When using it, only apply it to tools that are already clean (oily is OK, but not dirty) and dry. Then (most importantly) wrap the whole package up in a moisture barrier. Saran wrap (Cling film in the UK) works, but well-sealed boxes or brown paper and a wax dip are also used. Look at how mil-surplus kit is prepared for long-term storage - they're the experts in doing it.

I recently received a Veritas plane from Lee Valley wrapped in Ferro-Pak. No rust sighted so it at least seemed to have worked in that case :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo ------------------------------------------------------------