Fencing Materials

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:16:44 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

What about the morning dew, though? ;) RE: grass at the fence, don't you guys sprinkle some Casoron around, or spray with Roundup to keep the fence line clean?!? I usually try to keep the boards half an inch off the dirt. The easiest way is to take the worst fence board and lay it down,then build the fence on top of it, moving it downline as I go. But I do like that PT buffer idea. I'd use a pencil to space the pickets up off it, though. Otherwise it's a moisture trap.
I just wish there were an easy and inexpensive way to retain the cedar look. I hate the orange clone paints and I hate the silvered look of cedar aged with sunlight. Woe is me.
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

BTDT. Go with that. Cedar posts ROT easily when in contact with damp/wet soil.

About 1/10th the life of the fence
John wrote the following:

If vinyl gets moldy, so will any other material that's in the shade. I've had to pressure wash mold off a cedar fence that was under shade trees. White fencing doesn't fade. Plastic fencing won't rot.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY