Fence question

I have a Delta 36-600 table saw that I purchased when I thought that all I would be doing was "rough" cutting. Now I have caught a bit of the bug, and would like to try a bit of cabinetwork. I was thinking of buying a new fence for it (Biesemeyer or the like), and of course a new blade (regardless). Will this saw be O.K. for finishing type work, or should I bite the bullet, sell it and buy better. At the moment the saw can definitely outperform my woodworking skills. I can at this time successfully turn large pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood about 90% of the time. Hopefully this improves over time. I have in the past help build some nice speaker cabinets and stereo stands at a friends, and he was using a midline Craftsman saw. (Busy Bee fence & Freud blades) This is what makes me think that the Delta I have may be adequate. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Happy Holidays

Paul - The rec.woodworking lurker

Reply to
Paul

Paul- you will likely want to upgrade from that saw before too long. if you do put a biesemeyer fence on it, keep the old rails so you can put them back on when you sell it. Bridger

Reply to
nospam

had that exact saw for several years. It's not worth putting money into fitting it with a better fence. There are too many other weak points that can't be fixed: a loud universal motor, light duty innards (had to replace the bearings and little belt on mine), etc. That said, it was fine for what it was and more than accurate enough to get started in fine woodworking. Keep it as is and have fun with it until it's used up or starts to limit you, I'd say.

Reply to
Woodstock

Check the Biesemeyer web site. They have a close-out section and you can sometimes pick up a blem at a good price. Upgrade my fence from 40 to 52" by getting blem rails. Nothing wrong just scratched paint.

RT

suggestions

Reply to
RTH