Fence on a belt sander

I just bought a Craigslist Central Machinery sander (35 bucks) and I want t o sand a longer piece than the sander itself. Do I need the fence on the ma chine, or can I just take it off without too much worry? No instruction ma nual of course, and I can't find online.
Thanks,
Mike

You can take it off. If you're sanding small stuff there's a risk of loosing your grip and having whatever you're sanding go shooting away, but for bigger pieces you'll have no trouble maintaining control.
John
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 06:32:33 -0700 (PDT), Michael

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/97000-97999/97181.pdf
All there sanders have online manuals