Fence Gate

I put up a fence last weekend (PT lumber) and I am in the process of putting up the gates. I want a gate that says "This guy is a WoodWorker!" so I found one I like on the net.

I'm going with this one:

have already cut out the curves for the top rail, but then I realized I need to mortise for the slats. I was thinking of doing full width mortises at the top and tenons at the bottom of the slats.

question 1) How do I cut the mortises since I already cut the curves (I goofed)? I could tape the bandsaw cut off back on or...?

question 2) Would a full length slot be better than individual mortises at the top rail?

Thanks

Reply to
Stoutman

Perhaps there is a spark of an idea here:

Scroll about halfway down the page looking for "Mortises in curved work"

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Sat, May 12, 2007, 10:28pm .@. (Stoutman) doth posteth: I'm going with this one:

Nice. Now you need an appropriate sign.

is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Clamp on "reference board". Perhaps front and back for stability.

I would think you would have to remove a bit more material than you want to mill a groove azl the way across.

I would consider drilling a hole through the bottom of the lower mortises through to the the groove fro the slats so that any caught water will be able to drip through. The same issue appplies to the bottom rail groove. You are going to capture water and you need a path for it to drain.

-Steve

Reply to
C & S

Nice. Now you need an appropriate sign.

Reply to
Lee

solution. He invited them in and engaged them in a very lengthy discussion on religion and philosophy for almost six hours. Every time they tried to leave /escape, he's say something really inflammatory like "did I mention I'm a Devil Worshipper?"

Without food or water for 6 hours, these poor souls were dehydrated, starving and emotionally exhausted. When they finally did escape, they apparently made some type of permanent mark on the building, sidewalk or curb which only they know to look for (hobos had a marking system that identified houses where food and stuff were available and a special mark for places to avoid at all cost). I've stopped by that apartment house several times over the last 30 years to ask if they ever get Jehohav's Witnesses? To date they haven't.

If I could figure out their marking system I'm sure I could make a fortune - especially around college campuses. I know I'd have paid $20 to keep those folks from ringing my doorbell or "knocking" on my door at 8 am on a Sunday morning after I'd only gotten maybe four hours sleep due to "activities" the night before. Getting out of bed at that hour on a Sunday morning is bad. Having to get out of that bed when it's shared with a lovely sleeping co-ed - well that's HELL!

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Sun, May 13, 2007, 12:23pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) doth sayeth:l =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0My college roommate came up with a VERY effective =A0 solution.

Nah, I figure they have some sort of list they go by, not secret signs, because they don't come visit me anymore, and there's no place they could put a secret mark out front.

I used to just (politely) tell them to bugger off, and they'd toddle off, no prob. But one day I didn't have anything better to do, and decided to listen to them. I did NOT invite them in, but took a chair out on the porch for ME to sit on, no chairs for them. I don't think they made it an hour standing out there. I believe I did that one more time, but no visits from then since.

If you've never read their material it's a bit interesting. But no way could I ever accept any of it. Apparently everyone, including all the animals, are going to be vegetarians in their afterlife. And, live on Earch. Sounds like that's gonna make for a lot of overcroding. Not my idea of a rewarding afterlife at all, more like eternal punishment. I don't figure there's many people that've been that bad. That's just one of the reasons I'm spiritual and not religious.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

I didn't invite them in, I kept one pair on the doorstep for a good 40 min after the young one (both male) was silly enough to ask "so why are you an atheist?". Little did he know that I possess a biology PhD and am very well read in evolution and also up with things like Cosmology and Information Theory. The old one who didn't say a word the whole time looked relieved when they managed to get away. I suspect he had twigged that I was trying mighty hard to sow many large seeds of doubt in that young guy's mind. SWMBO and the eldest were in the lounge trying not to laugh too hard. They also have not been back...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Mon, May 14, 2007, 10:02am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.ruk (Peter=A0Ashby) doth sayeth: SWMBO and the eldest were in the lounge trying not to laugh too hard. They also have not been back...

Your wife and kid have never been back? You poor man. LOL

Atheist, eh? You shoulda told 'em about the Woodworkng Gods.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

I didn't want them to run screaming down the drive. 'Twoud have disturbed the neighbours. Besides it wasn't clear if the young one was a virgin or not, so sacrificing him on the mahogany altar might have angered the gods.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby