Feit LED Shop Lights at Costco!

Page 1 of 3
<http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid 980933&whse_579&topnav&cat896&hierPath105*97112*99896*&lang=en-US> <http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/LED_Utility_Lights I bought 4 of these LED 4' shop lights at Costco for 32 bucks each, regularly $40 at our local Costco. I'll be going back to buy some more (even at $40) as soon as their replacement shipment comes in.
These things are great! I've always loved LED lights because of their efficiency and brightness, however, I hate the fact that they temporarily blind you if you happen to glance right at the diode, giving you that blind spot in your eyes for 5 minutes.
I've also never understood why they have to make LED lights in the shape of older light technologies. Do I really need my LED light to be in the shape of an incandescent bulb? I guess the marketing department thinks we're all too afraid of new things.
In this case, however, I'm glad they make these LED shop lights in the shape of florescent shop light, because they spread the light out very nicely AND they put a white coating over the tubes to diffuse the light. This means I can look directly at the light without being blinded.
These things very bright with a nice, cool, neutral tone that reflects accurate colors for wood finishing. They are only 38watts per fixture! This is less than half what my previous florescent fixtures consumed, and they put out the equivalent of a 250 watt bulb. So I'm getting 1000 watts of light for the cost of 152 with absolutely no heat.
My old shop lights were about $15-20 per fixture plus the $10-12 or more for the daylight tubes I put in them. I ended up replacing ballasts (or entire fixture) every couple years as well as tubes.
These LEDs are already a decent color/tone, start up instantly, and are rated to last 30 years in I use them 6 hours a day, 365 days a year, and use half the energy as florescents.
I have four of them up and the look great, extremely bright, and completely silent. With the white ceiling, the shop is super bright!
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

--
 GW Ross

 An eye for an eye will make the whole
On 3/10/15 6:58 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Can't believe I'm asking.... but why?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

--
 GW Ross

On 3/10/15 12:17 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I know what it's like blowing money on crappy stuff over and over again, trying to find that which actually works well. So this was a public service announcement. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 3/10/2015 12:28 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 3/10/15 2:37 PM, Leon wrote:

Yeah! So good, I did it twice!! :-D I was having trouble with the news server and thought it didn't post the first time.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/10/2015 3:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

It was good! Two times!

I've been using 6000 K fluorescents because of the color (bright white) What are the lumens with the lights you describe? And the color temp (if it's available)?
Thanks Max
On 3/10/15 9:51 PM, Max wrote:

3,700 lumens. 4100°K which is a little under sunlight. I generally prefer something more like an overcast sky, but these are very neutral and I can see true colors in this temp.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/10/2015 11:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Might be good for my garage bench, since my florescent bulbs are slow to brighten in cold temps. But the common old school F40 is rated at 3000 lumens per tube (6000 per fixture), so its sounds like the the LED fixture might be a bit dimmer. Though the LED light may be more concentrated and brighter on the bench top.
Hmmm, might have to try one.
On 3/11/15 8:06 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:

These seem super bright to me. I do have a flat, white ceiling in the new garage instead of the open joist one in the old place, so I'm sure the reflection is helping.
If you get them at Costco, their return policy is second to none, so you have nothing to lose by trying a couple.
--

-MIKE-

The LEDs in the costco fixture are pointing straight down; unlike a fluorescent bulb, which radiates light all the way around, the LED version radiates light downward (diffused somewhat by the enclosing tube). That's why these fixtures don't have reflectors.
On 3/11/15 12:21 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

You are correct about the coating on the upper half. But oddly enough, these actually do have reflectors above the tubes, which are extremely easy to remove... and I did remove them. I noticed a shadow above the lights and wondered if I'd get some reflection if I removed the reflector... and I did. Nothing earth shattering, but enough that I can tell it puts out a more even dispersion without the reflector. Seems counter-intuitive, but it works. It also make the fixtures much lighter.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/11/15, 7:06 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:

LEDs are still trying to catch florescents in the efficiency category (about 100 lumens per watt) so you get no real power savings. The "instant on", hot or cold, is the big winner here, just keep those tubes, both LED and florescents, clean and dust free.
-BR

--- ---
On 3/10/2015 9:27 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Thanks. So happens that we'll be going to Costco today...
On 3/11/15 10:17 AM, Max wrote:

I'm curious to know if they have them in stock and their price, if you wouldn't mind reporting back. It's funny to see how different Costcos carry different products and can have vastly different prices. When I was researching these I saw that another store in another state had a regular price that was the same as the special sale price at my local store. What city are you in?
--

-MIKE-

On 3/11/2015 9:49 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

On 3/11/15, 9:49 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

They had a 'coupon' for these (nation wide) about 2 months ago. I think it was about $30 (versus the regular $38)
-BR

--- ---