Fein Vacuums: Auot-Start Load?

Page 2 of 2

I was talking about this in the Festool Owners Group. For the Festool vacuum anyway, a 60 watt bulb was sufficient to activate the auto on.
wrote in message

If you get a lamp and install a red light bulb, when the vac is on the light could be too.
FWIW, there's three modes on the Fein: On, Autostart, and Off. The outlet is live through all modes, so it just senses current draw and turns on. There's probably no need to do anything fancier than just plug the vacuum in to a switched outlet and turn that on and off.
Puckdropper

Not sure why you're using a "red" light bulb for your example, but my original query on FOG had to do with an extension one could plug into the autostart outlet, something with just a switch on the end of it that you could essentially place anywhere you wanted it. My electronics knowledge is all but non-existent so I was wondering if there was some minature power drawing device that could be placed in the extension as the impetus to activate the autostart feature. And, as mentioned, the lowest power drawing device that anyone has come up with so far is the 60 watt light bulb, which might be useful, but certainly is not small enough to "bury" in an extension cord.

The red light bulb is just for the cool factor. The OP could put it outside above the door with a sign that says "Do not enter while red light is on."
A resistor would fit the bill, but by the time you got one large enough to dissipate the heat for such a large draw, you're probably in light bulb territory anyway. How about a terranium heater? It uses a standard light bulb socket, but produces only heat. Use a standard trouble light, and the extension cord switch is easy.
Puckdropper

?

Why a large draw? I thought that the threshold to turn the vacuum on was very small. The vacuum isn't in series.
Mark
you're probably in light

*trim*

Right... the current draw (scribbles on screen) is only .041A, which in most things is miniscule. However, looking at the total power needed, a simple 1/8W or 1/4W resistor probably isn't going to cut it.
Puckdropper (Minus 2 pts for using a technical term incorrectly.)