Fein Vacuums: Adapting to 2.5" Hoses?

"Upscale" wrote in news:iRhoo.17570$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.iad:

Even if they were slightly better, they are _significantly_ more expensive. The CT22 has 2/3rds the dust collection capacity of the Turbo II, and is about a third again the price of the Fein. I'm going to have a little explaining to do to justify the expense of the Fein as it is.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Doug White wrote in news:Xns9E01CD1A4CECFgwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.7:

The cloth filter takes up quite a bit of room. I don't believe the bags will fit with the cloth filter. You'll probably need to get the cartridge filter to use the bags. (Plus, for the first one you'll need the mounting kit.)

The good news is that since the bags act as filters themselves, you may not need to clean or replace the cartridge filter for years.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Leon" wrote in news:08qdnXfw0JeZ6T snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have a $15 off coupon from Rockler good through Friday, but it doesn't work for power tools. I'm assuming the Fein counts (it's got a power cord...). The local Woodcraft is running a big promotion a week from Saturday, but they don't say specifically what sorts of deals they will have in the flyer. I checked on-line, and they have their usual caveats about Festool, but they don't mention Fein. Woodcraft and Rockler both specifically lists dust collectors under power tools.

Aha! Rockler's web site says that the Turbo II is online sales only, so it looks like Woodcraft is my best local option if I want it quick. I also know they will stand behind it if I have any problems.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

There's often a package sale price from Festool when you buy two of their power tools. And, I was purchasing a Festool DF 500 Q Domino which a relatively unique tool. So, it made sense to also purchase one of their vacuums which is designed to work well with all of their power tools. The only explaining I'm going to have to do will be to my cat when she realizes I can't afford to buy kibble for her anymore. :)

One other note: Festool is noted for having outstanding customer service. Additionally, Festool has setup the Festool Owners Group which I consider to be more active, but essentially the functional equivalent to rec.woodworking minus most of the off topic subjects. Answers to problems and technical questions are usually answered the same day by Festool employees or moderators.

If it's not obvious by now, then yes, I am quite enamoured with Festool. Somewhere along the line, I sort of hope that they disappoint me in some way, otherwise I'm going to be forced very quickly into bankruptsy. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Puckdropper wrote in news:4ca28756$0$30126 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Thanks for the info. It's hard to tell from the on-line pictures where the cloth filter goes & how big it is. Based on my ShopVac experience, I thought it just went over a cage where the cartridge fits.

I'll get the filter/bag kit & some extra bags. I've seen reference to some sort of clip that is required for the bags, but I think that must be for an older model. The new filter kits don't include them.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

snipped-for-privacy@d17g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

uh oh....LOL

Robatoy

Doug White wrote in news:Xns9E01D8570875gwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.50:

I don't know about a clip, at the attachment point there's a diverter (similar to a shop vac) that the vacuum bags slip over and seal to. The process is as simple as unrolling the bag, finding the hole and slipping that part over the diverter. Just take some care not to tear the bag when slipping it over the diverter.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Doug White wrote in news:Xns9E3DC381B9728gwhitealummitedu@69.16.186.7:

Well, I am now the proud owner of a Fein Turbo II vacuum. It IS very quiet. I still need to deal with logistical issues of where to put the

16 foot hose, the best way to switch it on & off, etc. The location & operation of the power switch isn't ideal, but I think they expect you to run it with the auto-switch. I'll probabnly get a footpedal, so it won't be an issue for long. My existing 2.5" ShopVac hose does fit in the front intake hole, but it's a bit snug. I suspect it may be leaking slightly, but it's certainly very functional.

I installed the cartridge filter & bag setup. The only hiccup is that the locking knob took more force than I expected to install in the filter end cap. I called Fein & they said to push a little harder, and it popped in OK without busting anything.

Time to get back to making stuff!

Thanks for all the helpful input.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

"Doug White" wrote

I bought a drywall hand sanding pad that had a place to hook a hose to it. It had enough adapters to hook almost anything up to anything else. Check out one of those things.

Reply to
Morgans