Fein or Festool Profile Sander

I need a good profile sander now and have been looking at both the Fein and Festool profile sander. I already have a Festool 150/3 sander and love it but wonder if the Fein is that much better. Thanks again as always.

Reply to
Creekbuster

Festool makes good equipment, but I haven't seen their's so can't comment.

Have the Fein, it is one heck of a piece of equipment. You won't go wrong.

If you go Fein, make sure to get the carbide accessory cutting blades.

I'd be lost without them.

Got my at Amazon, think it was less than $200 with all the goodies and discounts.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Gene T

I'm a little unclear about all your comments, Gene. It sounds like you are saying the Festool is better at profile and the Festool is better at everything else?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I made a mistake in the subject line. I'm looking for a finishing sander or detail sander. Sorry

Reply to
Creekbuster

Uh, which is it? I think a detail and a finishing sander are different animals.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I mistyped my question. should have read:

It sounds like you are saying the Festool is better at profile and the FEIN is better at everything else?

Reply to
BillyBob

Reply to
Creekbuster

The answer has suddenly become much simpler. The Festool 93 does one thing extremely well. The Fein does everything extremely well. The Festool 93 is better at doing things dust-free. The Fein is truly a Multi faceted masterpiece. You can buy Fein equipment in assorted, useful, kits. You can buy Fein from a variety of dealers which sometimes results in competitive pricing... Festool has a very tight marketing grip on their dealers, VERY tough to get a deal..if at all possible. ( I think it sucks when I call for

3 quotes from 3 sources and they all came in at EXACTLY the same price.) Having said that, The RO 150 Festool Rotex sander is the best damned sander on the planet, (for my kind of work) but I bought a Fein Turbo II vacuum to go with it this time around. If I don't HAVE to buy Festool, I won't.
Reply to
Robatoy

Festool makes some nice equipment: however, having had to deal the price fixing mentality of the Germans in my business, Festool can take a flying f*ck at a rolling donut when it comes to my non business expenditures.

As I sometimes tell my Bavarian suppliers, my German heritage dictates I win, so quit screwing around and do it my way.

Life will be so much easier for you.

Doesn't usually work, but makes me feel better.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
Creekbuster

See my first post.

Get the carbide accessories.

I use my Fein a lot, but have yet to use any of the sanding samples supplied, but oh those carbide cutters.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I used my brand-new Fein detail sander to apply varnish to a rush project by wet sanding a couple of years ago. It not only worked great, it didn't trash the sander (but it sure as hell didn't look new any more). I also pull it out when I have a lot of boxes to cut up for recycling. And it's a great scraper, too. But if it only did detail sanding, it would be well worth the cost. It is one of those rare machines that does it jobs so well that it is just a pleasure to use. (my Festool router has that same quality)

Being several years into official Old Farthood, I find that the Fein saves my old, trashed hands and wrists from a lot of distress doing a variety of tasks.

Regards, PDX David

Reply to
Jane & David

I have a Fein and love it. I find that it's like a dremel in some respects - it's the tool I reach for when I don't know what else will do the job. If you buy a kit, you can get a lot of tool / acessories for the money.

On the subject of money, the individual Fein accessories are over priced. Ideally, you buy them with a kit, or in a package of some kind.

As a sander - the Fein is unbeatable. There is a profile sanding attachment that works similar to the way the PC In-Line sander works - except that the Fein one is ok to use across grain - it won't leave marks the way the PC can.

I don't know anything about the Festool, but I know the Fein and think it's great.

Brian

Reply to
B Man