Feeling like Judas

OK, you dyed in the wool woodworkers who can't see any further than your next corner hutch...put aside all your feelings about the changing (or changed) labor market, international relations, the emerging 3rd world, and go to Harbor Freight like I did, for the countersink drill bit set which is actually better than the one from Fuller that costs 60 dollars, for only 12!

Reply to
edswoods.1

If you are going to recommend a HF product, you should include the item number, including the appropriate 3 digit/letter sale or calalog code :-) HF probably has 20 different countersink bit sets and each probably has 20 different final 3 digits in it part number with 20 different prices...and hey, I could use a good countersink bit set!

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Dave Hall wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I grabbed a full Tapered set (is that the same as "countersink") from Tool King for $19. Hickory brand. I've never used a tapered drill bit/countersink combo and wanted to see what they're all about.

Nineteen bucks seemed like a decent "take a chance" price.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

If you are going to recommend a HF product, you should include the item number, including the appropriate 3 digit/letter sale or calalog code :-) HF probably has 20 different countersink bit sets and each probably has 20 different final 3 digits in it part number with 20 different prices...and hey, I could use a good countersink bit set!

Dave Hall

O.K., it's item #00550, "22pc. high speed steel bits" including wooden storage box, 7 pilot bits, 7 countersinks, 7 depth collars, and one allen wrench. Mysteriously there is an identical set at the store for $9 something that is a "low speed" set. As with most good bargains there is a slight hitch - you will probably want to replace the tapered bits, which tend to burn up and "suck down" into the wood, with a cheap set of regular twist drills. I never found those twist bits to be worth the advantage of having a tapered hole. But the countersinks themselves seem to be staying sharp, which is the important thing.

Reply to
edswoods.1