Featherboards: any wood ok?

Is there a particular wood that's best suited for feather boards? I've got poplar, oak, and a bit of maple in my shop. TIA
dave
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

IME, just about any domestic hardwood will do. I've used scrap oak for a number of them and never had a problem. If you're just clamping them to a work surface, you can knock'em out on the bandsaw in a few minutes time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Swingman wrote:

Swingman wrote:

What's wrong with soft pine? That's what I use but most of what I work with is conifer. Is strength a consideration or just bendability?
You idiot. Got to the lumber yard and ask for Featherwood.

that earned you a plonk my fearless friend! P-L-O-N-K!
DAVE
goonair wrote:

I cant say that I am your friend, there's more involved with that, BUT, you are one funny son of a gun, and I am still laughing at the absurdity of your post...actually most of your posts! You are a legend! I'm glad you are so uh, different, than most. You made my day.

the more I think about it, the more I realize, your question is probably the dumbest I have ever read. LOL.

Not a stupid question as some have posted. Any wood will do, however, you want wood with the straightest grain, otherwise, the "feathers" will break or not bend the same. Quartersawn, obviously, will give the best featherboard.
BTW - wish you guys would get into the spirit of the newsgroup.
Preston

Even contest grade Balsa Wood? maybe............maybe............ :) I'm sorry, BAD, but gee, it really is funny. I would add to back up Preston's advice, to cut the fingers so the grain is parallel to the fingers, as possible. If thats the way too say it.

Thanks, Preston, your answer is precisely the reason why I asked this seemingly "dumb" question. I figured that as with everything else, there's a "right way" and there's also the "right stuff" for the job. I think I've got one piece of qs oak left.
dave
Preston Andreas wrote:

David Eisan used to post a lot of meaninful stuff. What happened to him? I guess he is too busy "doing". What do you think?
Bay Area Dave wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:23:08 -0500, Jules

Sits at home all day now, talking to his bandsaur.
Red Oak

I just grab a piece of any scrap and have at it. Made a couple recently (ok, 2 years ago) out of some used pine shelving that work great and didn't cost me anything.
I guess essentially straight grain and no knots should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com