Favorite "classic" tool?

Page 2 of 2

After thinking about it for a little while, I think I have 3 responses in different "categories". Great-grandfather's drill press, standard front vise on my workbench, and the LN LABP (even though LN's version might not have been around for 20 years, I'd still say it's a "classic"). I'd have to say all 3 get used on basically every single project I do, and all are comfortable and fun to use (with the occasional exception of the vise, on which I cheaped out a little bit, but I'm working on a few ways to improve that...) Andy
I would add my ancient Stanley router plane, not used often but priceless when it's needed and of course my collection of card scrapers. The card scraper is so damned useful...everything from rough stripping to glue removal to final finishing of highly figured wood. Dave

Have to say it's my workbench. I'm always using it. As for power tools, my table saw.
says...

That would have to be my draw knife. But you don't want to pull it too far. That's what happened to my half-brother.
S.
samson wrote:

GROAN - after chuckling.
Before the Veritas rabbet/block plane - "It's a block plane! "It's a rabbet plane! It's TWO planes in one!" Leave it to Veritas to actually mean New AND Improved - innovative folks them Veritasers.
But probably the most versatile and most often used "classic tool" is the real woodworkers bench - designed and built for the type of woodworking you're doing - or plan / dream of doing. Who ever said "workbench" was probably the best answer IMHO.
charlie b

Veritas has a rabbet block plane? I haven't seen it on their website. Do you mean their shoulder plane? Or do you mean the LN rabbet block? Or has this wonderful combo been discontinued? Andy
Andy wrote:

OOPS! LN.
charlie b

Tough call. My own favorite "classic" is my DJ-20 jointer.