Favorite "classic" tool?

Okay. New thread.

What is your favorite "classic" tool in the shop? You can interpret "classic" to mean any number of things; I am going to interpret it as meaning "they still make them the same way after 20+ years". But you can interpret it differently if you like.

Mine would be the Porter Cable 505 half-sheet sander. Love it! It is a bullet proof design and I don't think it could be improved much if you tried.

Bob the Tomato

Reply to
Bob the Tomato

Bob the Tomato wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My favorite classic tool is the tool for the job. We've all at one time tried using the wrong tool, and sometimes it works ok, but more often it doesn't. With the right tool for the job, you're left watching the tool work rather than watching the sweet as it drips into your eyes.

Tried and true, tested for millenia.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My favorite is the Yankee #130 push-pull screw driver and it never wears the batteries down. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Perhaps not quite what you meant, but I get the warmest glow from spending 15 mins restoring some "crappy old" chisel I bought for 50c in a garage sale to a thing of beauty, and scary sharp

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Reply to
marc rosen

Without a doubt the hand plane. I am a full fledged Normite that tried a block plane on a whim a few months ago now I have three planes.

Reply to
RayV

I know it sounds like an attempt at a smart ass answer, but I am serious.

Mine would be the No. 2 pencil. How many of us could work without it for long?

Joe

Reply to
10x

Probably the one that 90% of the people have and simply take for granted. The Table Saw.

Reply to
Leon
12" Starrett combination square.

Previously, I owned cheapies and never really used them. Most frequently I use it as a marking gauge in conjunction with the marking knife, but also as a trisquare and a ruler.

The only improvement that I could see in that tool is the graduation marks:

1/8 & 1/16 one side and 1/32 & 1/64 on the other.

IMO no direct-read measuring tool (that is, no manification, like a thickness caliper or a dial indicator) should be graduated in < 1/32. I can interpolate to around .01

IME 1/64 actually harder to read than 1/32 for measurements +/- 1/128.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

After thinking about it for a little while, I think I have 3 responses in different "categories". Great-grandfather's drill press, standard front vise on my workbench, and the LN LABP (even though LN's version might not have been around for 20 years, I'd still say it's a "classic"). I'd have to say all 3 get used on basically every single project I do, and all are comfortable and fun to use (with the occasional exception of the vise, on which I cheaped out a little bit, but I'm working on a few ways to improve that...) Andy

Reply to
Andy

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Personally my favorite is my 50 yo powermatic 66 table saw heavry at hell had to take it down to pieces to move it in my shop but well worth the effort, my grand daughter will be selling this one, I'm the third onwer, both other owners were professional cabinetmakers, I do cabinet work and furniture as a hobby but do sell what I make

Reply to
bissonj57

Reply to
Dave W

Have to say it's my workbench. I'm always using it. As for power tools, my table saw.

Reply to
Phisherman

If it makes it that long. One time I mentioned to my daughter that I'd bought a new blurfl of some sort or other and she rolled her eyes (talk about shit rolling down hill--just like her grandmother...and her father).

I said, "what's the matter? It's all going to wind up with you and your brother, anyway." And she instantly replied, "yeah, biggest ebay sale ever."

So much for handing stuff down.

Reply to
LRod

That would have to be my draw knife. But you don't want to pull it too far. That's what happened to my half-brother.

S.

Reply to
samson

GROAN - after chuckling.

Before the Veritas rabbet/block plane - "It's a block plane! "It's a rabbet plane! It's TWO planes in one!" Leave it to Veritas to actually mean New AND Improved - innovative folks them Veritasers.

But probably the most versatile and most often used "classic tool" is the real woodworkers bench - designed and built for the type of woodworking you're doing - or plan / dream of doing. Who ever said "workbench" was probably the best answer IMHO.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Veritas has a rabbet block plane? I haven't seen it on their website. Do you mean their shoulder plane? Or do you mean the LN rabbet block? Or has this wonderful combo been discontinued? Andy

Reply to
Andy

LOL,, They just don't understand.... I can relate, I have a shop full of equipment and my son shows little interest and less interest his mothers 2 sewing machines that cost close to 10K between the two.

Reply to
Leon

A suggestion:

Set up an endowment funded with the contents of your shop to teach industrial arts to the underprivledged in your area.

Would take some work, but should be worth the effort.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett
10x wrote in news:240520070738367821% snipped-for-privacy@home.com:

Hm... you have a point, but a ball point pen marks wood too. (Well, SOMEONE'S got to be a smart alec.)

I suppose most the marks I make with a pencil could be done with a knife, but they wouldn't show up very well. Ever just dotted a mark and then gone looking for it 30 seconds later? It's that kind of thing.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper