Favorite Bed Rail Fastener?

I'm getting ready to order some bed rail fasteners. I'd prefer that the fasteners not be visible from the outside of the bed, i.e. no bolts.
I used this style in the past (~20 years ago) and really like them. They've held up well and pull the rails in tight. I'm considering using them again, unless someone has something they like better.
http://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-wrought-steel-bed-rail-fasteners-4-pack-select-size
I also ran across these which look promising:
http://www.rockler.com/locking-safety-bed-rail-brackets
Any thoughts on which one would be better, or maybe even something else?
Thanks!
[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the cited author.]
snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net says...

I would go with the second set. They have many more screws holding the brackets to the wood and thus stronger and more secure. They also look easier to install.
--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

After using that style once, years ago, I've concluded that the only really reliable way of joining a bed together is to use bed bolts.
John

I've used the 1st set on 6 beds (2 queen adn 4 twin) without problems over the last 25 years.
On 7/16/2016 11:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I most recently used these http://www.cshardware.com/15-74-5.html and before that similar more-expensive ones from a different vendor which I can't recall at the moment. The fasteners are very strong and are among the most easy to install since they have nicely rounded ends so a router cut makes the mortise with no hand work needed beyond a few clearance holes for the tabs and some holes for the screws. I can install a pair of them in a few minutes (now that I have the hardboard jig finished, of course).
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 4:17:18 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:

Can I borrow your jig? ;-)
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 4:17:18 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:

Should I be concerned that the Rockler set is $14.99 and the CHS set is 1/4 of that price? I know Rockler can be overpriced, but 4x the price is more than I would have expected.
Did you notice any difference between the "similar more-expensive ones from a different vendor" and the $4 set from CSH?
$4 just seems to cheap for anything that is supposed to do what these need to do. Heck, the shipping is more than 1.5x the cost of the fastener. ;-)
On 7/17/2016 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was quite impressed by the quality of these inexpensive fasteners. The metal is quite thick at a bit over 1/8" (or perhaps 3.5mm since they are undoubtedly from China or some such place). Are they as good as the earlier ones? Can't say -- the first set has lasted since around 1999 so in 17 years I might have some statistical evidence. You are right that they seem _very_ cheap but they don't seem to lack anything I needed.
You can borrow the jig if you stop by in Tennessee and pick it up but it would probably be easier to make one. I got the sizing wrong on the first try but hit it on the second. I wanted the mortise to be a very tight fit.
[a bit later]
I was going to send you a picture of the jig but forgot that ES doesn't allow such goings on...
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:00:47 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:

Can you post the pic at imgur or some such site?
I made a jig for the bunk beds I built about 20 years ago, but it's long gone and wouldn't fit the bed I'm making now anyway. A visual of yours would help, just so I'm not designing from scratch all over again, not that it's that complicated of a task.
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 4:17:18 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:

Just a minor shipping complaint.
I ordered the bed rail fasteners and some slat brackets from CSH on Monday. Standard shipping was $6.50 via FedEx. Expected delivery is next Monday i.e. 7 days.
For a nickle less they could have used USPS Flat Rate and it would have taken 2, maybe 3 days.
I wonder if FedEx really charges $6.50 for such slow shipping or if CSH padding the bill.

My experiences with FedEx is that they're generally slower to residential addresses and more expensive. I think their thing is business-to- business shipping and residential has a lower priority.
It's possible CSH padded the bill a bit, after all they've got to acquire the box and packing material.
Puckdropper
On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 10:16:16 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Makes one wonder why companies like CSH don't just use the USPS for this type of order. If they can get it to their customers in half the time for the same price, wouldn't that help bring the customer back next time?

On the other hand, if they are padding the FedEx price to cover their packaging costs, then they would have to raise the USPS price also. I get that.
I guess it's just the idea of paying $6.50 in shipping for $10 worth of parts and then having it take a week that bothers me. The $100+ router I bought from MLCS cost me $8 for 2-3 day delivery. That feels OK. Paying $6.50 for such a small order and then having to wait a week just sucks.
On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 4:17:18 PM UTC-4, BenignBodger wrote:

I ran a quick test last night with the "round end" fasteners from CSH using my new plunge trim router and a new 5/8" straight bit. No jig, just the edge guide on the plunge base.
Sweet! One quick pass and the rail fastener fit so snugly in the mortise that I had to rap the wood on the workbench to get it out.
Thanks for the suggestion!
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 10:28:24 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just finished a bunk bed set (twin centered over full) and used these:
http://www.rockler.com/surface-mounted-keyhole-bed-rail-brackets
It was a set for three, now small, boys, so I over built and these worked extremely well on the upper. The lower was two units with four drawers each.
On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 6:39:08 AM UTC-4, Dr. Deb wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I'll consider it.