Fast Brass Antiquing

I bought some brass mesh from Rockler (incredibly expensive, but so was everywhere else I found). Plus they could cut it to size. I wanted to antique the brass so I bought their antiquing solution. Now THAT was a ripoff. It wasn't clear in the instructions that the brass had to be immersed, and that just wasn't possible with 3 oz of liquid with two 8x31" pieces of mesh.
I was able to slosh enough around to get one of the pieces done, but the chemicals had run out in the remaining solution. I tried various household products on a couple of scrap pieces of brass that I trimmed, but nothing would work.
Then I remembered I had some PCB etchant back from when I used to make my own circuit boards. If I remember correctly, it's Ferric Chloride. I put some on a rag, and it INSTANTLY darkened the brass. I rinsed, and it was pretty dull, but I took some 0000 steel wool and rubbed lightly. It came out looking exactly like the antiquing done on the other piece. I finished the other piece in about 30 seconds, rinsed, and wiped down with steel wool, and it looks great.
In addition, you can buy a big qty of PCB etchant from Radio Shack for pretty cheap.
On 18 Dec 2004 19:16:30 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

It's not cheap, is it....
Best source I know is an engineering supplier (bearings, gaskets and the like) - brass mesh sold to repair filters is cheaper than the same mesh sold for decorative purposes.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

was
same
The "mesh" I bought is actually 1" square wire... they just call it mesh.
So about the only thing it would be good filtering is small puppies. :-)