FAQ and Acronyms

Is there a place where I can go read the FAQs for this group. I asked a question the other day and got a wisecrack response, and I really do not need this kind of crap at my age. Had the guy been in front of me it would have been a different story for him. I guess he is one of those lucky persons that is born with all of the knowledge of the world and has never had to ask a question because he knew the answer before he even asked the question. Af*ckingmazing!!!
And second, is there a list of acronyms for the woodworking world - one example "ras" = radial arm saw. I saw this in a post a whilst ago and my two remaining brain cells are not equipped to handle things like that, finally I saw in a subsequent post what it meant.
Thanks,
Ray ==
For acronyms, I go here and look it up. http://www.acronymfinder.com /

HDRDTD wrote:

TY for that info. It is the small tidbits like this and the info from Peter to find help with older tools. Even the others posts I am sure originated from Archie Bunker and Cliff Clavin here have something to add.
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

See:
http://groups.google.com.my/group/rec.woodworking/msg/5ae459ef8dc3bd66
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Do a search for "rec.woodworking FAQ" or perhaps "Woodworking acronyms." Using Google Groups, try doing the same types of searches, sometimes you get what you're looking for easier.
The anti-FAQs are an interesting read....
Puckdropper

Ray - don't worry about the smart assed remarks. There is a large group of truly talented and experienced people that frequent this newsgroup that are ready, willing and able to help when they can. That being said, not everyone is online all the time, and as a public, volunteer forum, no one is obligated to respond to any else's posts.
But there are a few wannabes that cantbe here, and when they are feeling small and unnoticed, it makes them feel important and "big" to make fun of someone else. Do like everyone else does, ignore them.
To me, the highest and best use of any forum, newgroup, or any other group that keeps its posts are its archives. There is enough searchable information on this newsgroup to fill a library. Most common questions and problems have been addressed at length.
I don't know how you got here, but if you are using Google, just look up on the right hand side of the screen and you will see "search this group" as an option. Not only will this cut down on the extraneous static, but it will save you a lot of time as well.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have no idea what set him off, but it _is_ usenet so while perhaps it would be desirable to have no riffraff, just ain't gonna' happen so may as well develop the necessary exterior hide for the forum...
Then again, having not seen the response and not recalling the post, maybe it was an opening that seemed to good to miss. I certainly try never to be belligerent or crude or personal, but I surely do like the occasional quip/pun/whatever... :)
OTOH, maybe it wasn't, either. Either way, there's no sense in getting upset unless it was really obviously personal and/or truly offensive...
As the saying goes, ya' pays yer money and takes yer chances...

This must be a new way to make friends.
Sometimes wisecracks lack in substance due to a poor delivery, sometimes wisecracks misfire because the recipient's sense of humour has a day off. Both of these scenario(s) have happened to me.
To illustrate my point: Your phrase: " Had the guy been in front of me it would have been a different story for him." could mean three things: a) You are a pitiful sight, and the guy would have broken out in hysterical laughter or b) You are trying to be a bully. c) It is all a misunderstanding because you didn't give the guy the BOTD (Benefit Of The Doubt).
If you pick 'c', you will get your questions answered in here by the wonderful collection of sawdust junkies. If you pick 'b'. learn what the acronym FOAD means.
Mon, Nov 19, 2007, 10:50am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (RayS.&NaydaKatzaman) doth query: <snip> I asked a question the other day and got a wisecrack response, and I really do not need this kind of crap at my age. Had the guy been in front of me it would have been a different story for him. <snip>
Wisecrack response, eh? On this newsgroup? What age are you that you really don't need that kind of crap? I'm 66, and want to know if I don't need that kind of crap either. I'm also curious as to what was the question, and what was the response.
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:50:18 -0600, "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman"

What age is it that that starts happening? I'm 61 and still enjoy a good wisecrack response. If I'm not there yet, then, I'm not looking forward to it. Life's too short as it is without getting annoyed with well crafted wisecracks.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

There's something else here to consider, Ray. Your post of "Just Three" set off a wild ride of responses. Not all of them addressed you directly. That is also a feature of Usenet, in that threads go all over the place, rarely predicted or even predictable.
It was a very interesting thread because it gave all kinds of POVs and gave most of us insights into what each responder considers important to them. My bet is that you found it helpful too.
I also don't know what jarred you, but as others have said, it's Usenet, and there aren't a lot of rules. Come to think of it, I don't think there's one.
Take what you can, leave the rest....
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.